Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by yuankui <ku...@fraudmetrix.cn> on 2015/08/13 15:05:54 UTC

limit the size of data type LIST

hi, friends

I am design a message history table

CREATE TABLE message_history (
    user_name text PRIMARY KEY,
    time timestamp,
    message_details list<text>,
);

so that I can query a user's message via primary key `user_name` at once.

but the item in `message_details` list may be very long so that I want to limit the list size of the message_details list.

is there a way to solve this?

like a redis operation `LTRIM` - http://redis.readthedocs.org/en/latest/list/ltrim.html <http://redis.readthedocs.org/en/latest/list/ltrim.html>

Re: limit the size of data type LIST

Posted by Jeff Jirsa <Je...@crowdstrike.com>.
This is not currently possible, though it has been proposed in the past and may potentially be implemented in the future: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-9110

- Jeff

From:  yuankui
Date:  Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 6:24 PM
To:  "user@cassandra.apache.org"
Subject:  Re: limit the size of data type LIST

Sorry for not making myself clear and thank you for your reply.

--------------

I want to know if there is a way to automatically remove old items in the list in SERVER SIDE if the size() of the list reached a certain limit(say 1000).

client does not need to care about this, and just do insert and get. and he will get the latest 1000 messages of a user?

can I?

在 2015年8月14日,上午12:55,<SE...@homedepot.com> <SE...@homedepot.com> 写道:

This sounds like something you do on the client side BEFORE you insert. Or are you wanting to limit the size of the list coming out to the client?

Sean Durity

Lead Cassandra Admin, Big Data Team

so that I can query a user's message via primary key `user_name` at once.

but the item in `message_details` list may be very long so that I want to limit the list size of the message_details list.

is there a way to solve this?

like a redis operation `LTRIM` - http://redis.readthedocs.org/en/latest/list/ltrim.html

The information in this Internet Email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this Email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. When addressed to our clients any opinions or advice contained in this Email are subject to the terms and conditions expressed in any applicable governing The Home Depot terms of business or client engagement letter. The Home Depot disclaims all responsibility and liability for the accuracy and content of this attachment and for any damages or losses arising from any inaccuracies, errors, viruses, e.g., worms, trojan horses, etc., or other items of a destructive nature, which may be contained in this attachment and shall not be liable for direct, indirect, consequential or special damages in connection with this e-mail message or its attachment.

Re: limit the size of data type LIST

Posted by SE...@homedepot.com.