Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Gal Aviel <ga...@yahoo.com> on 2006/10/25 11:14:19 UTC

svn diff -rHEAD empty when file is locked (bug?)

Hello List,

svn diff -rHEAD seems to report no diff even though there is one, when the
file is locked.

Try :
- svn lock file.txt
- echo "just a change" >> file.txt
- svn diff -rHEAD file.txt (get nothing)
- svn unlock file.txt
- svn diff -rHEAD file.txt (get actual diff)
- svn lock file.txt
- svn diff -rHEAD file.txt (get nothing again)

Suprisingly enough, tkdiff seems to not suffer from this and gives correct
readings in the above case, regardless of lock.

Searching the Bug database does not reveal any similar bug. (should I submit
one?)

VERSIONS : svn 1.3.2 compiled from source on Linux i386 RHEL 3. (I will
try to compile 1.4 to see if the problem persists)

Any Help is appreciated :)

thanks - Gal.

Re: svn diff -rHEAD empty when file is locked (bug?)

Posted by Gal Aviel <ga...@yahoo.com>.
Guys,

The problem goes away with 1.4.0 compiled from source. So no need to open a
bug report :)

Thanks very much for your help and support, which I value greatly!

Posted by Ed Price <ed...@gmail.com>.
> > svn diff -rHEAD seems to report no diff even though there is one, when the
> > file is locked.
[...]
> > VERSIONS : svn 1.3.2 compiled from source on Linux i386 RHEL 3. (I will
> > try to compile 1.4 to see if the problem persists)
>
> I can't reproduce this with a trunk client.  Can you try with 1.4, and
> if you can reproduce it, could you please provide a set of commands
> that show the problem starting from an empty repository?  That would
> make it much easier to debug.

I tried reproducing this with 1.3.2 and 1.4.0; looks like it is fixed in 1.4.0.

My script was:

svnadmin create repos
svn co file://`pwd`/repos wc
cd wc
touch foo
svn add foo
svn ci -m ""
svn lock foo
echo "change" > foo
svn diff -rHEAD foo

With 1.3.2 it does not show any diff.
With 1.4.0 it correctly shows"+change" diff.

-Ed

Re: svn diff -rHEAD empty when file is locked (bug?)

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 10/25/06, Gal Aviel <ga...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> svn diff -rHEAD seems to report no diff even though there is one, when the
> file is locked.
>
> Try :
> - svn lock file.txt
> - echo "just a change" >> file.txt
> - svn diff -rHEAD file.txt (get nothing)
> - svn unlock file.txt
> - svn diff -rHEAD file.txt (get actual diff)
> - svn lock file.txt
> - svn diff -rHEAD file.txt (get nothing again)
>
> Suprisingly enough, tkdiff seems to not suffer from this and gives correct
> readings in the above case, regardless of lock.
>
> Searching the Bug database does not reveal any similar bug. (should I submit
> one?)
>
> VERSIONS : svn 1.3.2 compiled from source on Linux i386 RHEL 3. (I will
> try to compile 1.4 to see if the problem persists)

I can't reproduce this with a trunk client.  Can you try with 1.4, and
if you can reproduce it, could you please provide a set of commands
that show the problem starting from an empty repository?  That would
make it much easier to debug.

-garrett