Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com> on 2013/12/07 13:33:18 UTC

Discussion: Moving to Java 7

Support for Java 6 is fading:

http://java.com/en/download/faq/java_6.xml

We need to discuss moving OFBiz over to Java 7.

I have been building and running OFBiz R13 on Oracle Java 7 for over a
month, and there were some minor compilation problems, but they were
easy to fix.

What do you think?

--
Adrian Crum
Sandglass Software

Re: Discussion: Moving to Java 7

Posted by Ankit Jain <an...@gmail.com>.
+1

Regards,
*____*____________
 Ankit Jain | 9717930151

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
+1

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Scott, thanks to ask,
Taher, yes! I missed your points 2 & 4, which come free.

The reference being
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~briangoetz/lambda/lambda-state-final.html
and
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~briangoetz/lambda/lambda-libraries-final.html
With a good abstract at
http://www.techempower.com/blog/2013/03/26/everything-about-java-8/

I'd add;
1) Lambas
The most useful added feature I see is the java.util.stream
Notably because it introduces the map/reduce concept and related operations (filter, sort, peek, etc.)
In APL we have the concept of reduction http://www.microapl.com/apl_help/ch_020_020_800.htm
I always miss that in most other languages

Also using lambas (aka closures in Groovy) allows to have Java code more like Groovy
This article is interesting for this POV http://www.infoq.com/articles/groovy-to-Java-8
Though of course I don't mean to move all Java code to lambdas ;)
Lesson learned, from our move from to Java 4 to 5 and BSH to Groovy, stability should continue to be our main goal...

2) Generic type inference improvements
Minor but comfortable

3) Time
There is a new java.time package, but I don't know much about it.

4) Other improvements (see the techempower's abstract for...much... more)
All collections related additions which go w/ java.util.stream
Concurrency additions (as if there were not enough already :D )
Optional, I'd cautions with a systematic use, see http://www.javacodegeeks.com/2013/08/optional-in-java-8-cheat-sheet.html
But using it in new parts or custom code seems cool

I noted this in an email before:
>I'm wonderting if OfbizJsBsfEngine will still be usable when with Java 8 Rhino will be remplaced by Nashorn http://openjdk.java.net/projects/nashorn
Nashorn will be faster than  Rhino...

Jacques (trying not to be too pedantic)

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Ean Schuessler <ea...@brainfood.com>.
I've also had good luck running on Java 7.

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO
ean@brainfood.com

Re: Discussion: Moving to Java 7

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.
Then go!

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
I have a patch ready to go.

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks Adam,

Re: Discussion: Moving to Java 7

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.
Ok, I just fixed a bunch of these, but there were only in 2 test
suites.  I was able to do a clean-all load-demo run-tests loop 10 times,
without issue.

ps: When I do this kind of work, I symlink runtime/data/derby ->
/dev/shm/derby.  I also keep my virtual-machine with 4 cores and 1.5G,
and the time for just one loop is around 5 minutes.  The clean-all
load-demo bit runs in 45 seconds.  The entity-tests that I fixed took
1.5 minutes total.

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.
Fixing....

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
BTW noticed also this article http://www.javacodegeeks.com/2013/05/minor-gotchas-from-migration-to-java-7.html

Jacques

On Sunday, December 29, 2013 10:16 PM jacques.le.roux@les7arts.com wrote

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Interesting, thanks Adrian!

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Java 1.7.0_40 on OSX 10.9.1

Jacopo

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Jacopo,

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
It means OFBiz should run on Java 7. Since Oracle will not be updating 6
anymore, servers running on 6 might become vulnerable to attacks.

Adrian Crum
Sandglass Software
www.sandglass-software.com

Posted by Christian Geisert <ch...@isu-gmbh.de>.