Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "Ronald V. Simmons" <Va...@thesimmonses.net> on 2002/11/22 18:42:33 UTC

[Fwd: Re: merge and properties]

Re: [Fwd: Re: merge and properties]

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
ketil@ii.uib.no (Ketil Z. Malde) writes:

> Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk> writes:
>
> > Be careful... to move changes from one branch to another the
> >
> >   svn merge -rREV1:REV URL PATH
> >
> > form is preferred,
>
> I think merging is a subject that deserves a bit more attention.  In
> particular, the documentation might be clearer that the above is what
> you usually want (and it is, isn't it?).

I just committed a completely rewritten and expanded chapter on
branching and merging.  Take a look at doc/book/book/ch04.xml, see if
it's clearer now.

> I think most merging is going to be either incorporating/reversing a
> single or small set of changes, for which the above is good, or
> incorporating all changes in a branch into the trunk (or another
> branch).  Could there be a default action for this (without the need
> to check revsion numbers etc)?

Not until Subversion starts automatically tracking merge information.
See the "repeated merge" sidebar in ch04.xml.

Re: [Fwd: Re: merge and properties]

Posted by "Ketil Z. Malde" <ke...@ii.uib.no>.
Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk> writes:

> Be careful... to move changes from one branch to another the
>
>   svn merge -rREV1:REV URL PATH
>
> form is preferred,

I think merging is a subject that deserves a bit more attention.  In
particular, the documentation might be clearer that the above is what
you usually want (and it is, isn't it?).

I think most merging is going to be either incorporating/reversing a
single or small set of changes, for which the above is good, or
incorporating all changes in a branch into the trunk (or another
branch).  Could there be a default action for this (without the need
to check revsion numbers etc)?

Additionally, the svn merge command should perhaps also be more
careful in what it allows, perhaps asking for confirmation for the
rarer cases?

-kzm

Re: [Fwd: Re: merge and properties]

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
"Ronald V. Simmons" <Va...@thesimmonses.net> writes:

> > > Clearly.  :^)

> > > Yields exactly the same result.
> >
> > Okay I take it back. I was able to get the command that Philip
> > recommended to work (I had reversed the revno's).  I gather that was
> > actually the problem with my first version of the command too.

Be careful... to move changes from one branch to another the

  svn merge -rREV1:REV URL PATH

form is preferred, the two URL form of the command only works because
you have no changes committed on your working copy branch.  If you had
committed changes to the working copy branch then the two URL command
would undo those changes as well as merging the changes from the other
branch. (Unless of course you play games with @REV, but if you are
going to do that you may as well use the -rREV1:REV2 form.)

--
Philip Martin