Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com> on 2017/07/21 13:18:43 UTC

Ubuntu 14.04 + qemu 2.5 vs. ACS 4.8 advice needed

Hi all,

we are using ACS 4.8, on Ubuntu 14.04 (stock version qemu/libvirt -
2.0.0/1.2.2) and we have issues during live migration of "busy" VMs (high
RAM change rate), so we plan to introduce additional flag+global parameter
in ACS, which will auto converge flag libvirt to enable auto convergence
(thanks Mike. T :) )

qemu 1.6+ supports auto convergence, but before 2.5 it's mostly useless
(based on docs and my own testing)

Since we cant upgrade to Ubuntu 16.04 before ACS 4.9 or 4.10 release, we
are forced to play with qemu/libvirt verisons, so I used Ubuntu OpenStack
repo for "MITAKA" release, which provides QEMU 2.5 / LIBVIRT 1.3.1 (auto
convergence works like charm).

Now, we are facing different issues that ACS send command to libvirt, but
libvirt basically do some silly things and cant start some VMs at all, etc.

Anyone running ACS 4.8 with qemu 2.5+ and libvirt 1.3 , any advice how to
proceed (our developers are already debugging things, but this takes time) ?

Any info is really appreciated.

Thanks !

--

Andrija Panić

Re: Ubuntu 14.04 + qemu 2.5 vs. ACS 4.8 advice needed

Posted by Dmytro Shevchenko <ds...@gmail.com>.
Hello Wido,

we found source of this bug and also found that patch already implemented:

https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/commit/9dcfbceae71865b4de1a4744ceac8f48255733a2

sorry for inaccuracy, initially we tested on 4.5 release

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.

Posted by Dmytro Shevchenko <ds...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dmytro Shevchenko <ds...@gmail.com>.