Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Dan Adams <da...@ifactory.com> on 2006/05/05 16:11:13 UTC

[m2] generating uml documentation

Anyone know of a plugin to generate a uml diagram from the java classes
and include it in the documentation? This would be immensely useful to
me.

--
Dan Adams
Software Engineer

Re: [m2] generating uml documentation

Posted by jerome lacoste <je...@gmail.com>.
> On 5/5/06, Dan Adams <da...@ifactory.com> wrote:
> > Anyone know of a plugin to generate a uml diagram from the java classes
> > and include it in the documentation? This would be immensely useful to
> > me.
>
> Sort of... you can use UmlGraph as an alternate doclet with the Javdoc
> plugin.  There's an example here (it may be out of date, I just
> started updating it yesterday and haven't made it all the way
> through):
>    http://wiki.wsmoak.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UMLGraph
>
> With UmlGraph 4.2, the concept of "views" was introduced.
>    http://www.spinellis.gr/sw/umlgraph/doc/ceg-view-packages.html
>
> From there you need something to convert the .dot files to .png (or
> whatever).  I use GraphViz, but just with a shell script, I haven't
> tried calling it from Maven 2 yet.
>
> I started working on an upload bundle for UmlGraph, but I'm not sure
> what to put in the <license> element.  There doesn't seem to be any
> particular license, just a generic statement on the website and in the
> source code files.

http://freshmeat.net/projects/umlgraph/

BSD ?

Re: [m2] generating uml documentation

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 5/5/06, Dan Adams <da...@ifactory.com> wrote:
> Anyone know of a plugin to generate a uml diagram from the java classes
> and include it in the documentation? This would be immensely useful to
> me.

Sort of... you can use UmlGraph as an alternate doclet with the Javdoc
plugin.  There's an example here (it may be out of date, I just
started updating it yesterday and haven't made it all the way
through):
   http://wiki.wsmoak.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UMLGraph

With UmlGraph 4.2, the concept of "views" was introduced.
   http://www.spinellis.gr/sw/umlgraph/doc/ceg-view-packages.html

>From there you need something to convert the .dot files to .png (or
whatever).  I use GraphViz, but just with a shell script, I haven't
tried calling it from Maven 2 yet.

I started working on an upload bundle for UmlGraph, but I'm not sure
what to put in the <license> element.  There doesn't seem to be any
particular license, just a generic statement on the website and in the
source code files.

--
Wendy