Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Antonio Gallardo Rivera <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com> on 2002/09/03 21:29:35 UTC

The order of the atributes can help developers

Hi,

I am using jEdit (http://www.jedit.org) like the source editor. jEdit has a
plug-in called XML-Tree. In this plug-in we can see the tree XML of tags and
There we can see the attributes of a given tag.

I think it can help better if the attribute "name" of the components will be
the first declared attribute in the sitemap. Of course if it exists ;).

This is just a question of order. I think it can help to make less errors.
Maybe will be fine to write a recomendation of how to write Cocoon files.

Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: The order of the atributes can help developers

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Antonio Gallardo Rivera wrote:

> El Martes, 03 de Septiembre de 2002 13:30, Steven Noels escribió:

>>Attribute order is irrelevant in an XML document - it is up to the
>>application if the order is preserved. IIRC, Xalan sorts attributes
>>alfabetically.
>

> I know that. But for the programmers can be better. I thinked in a
> "recommendation or "etiquette" nothing more. Not to rewrite the SAX
> specification. ;)

The wonderful world of interpreting W3C specifications :-)

In what way do you see preserving or fixing attribute order being
'better', except for presentation purposes?

>>For general sitemap editing woes, maybe have a look at
>>http://pollo.sf.net/ - a general-purpose XML editor that comes with a
>>configuration for Cocoon sitemap editing and some entry helpers for that
>>purpose.
>

> I know pollo too. But I feel it still in a beta release. I am currently coding
> with jEdit and the XML Tree Plug-in.

In a Pollo display specification, you can specify the attributes that
should be shown on the element and the order in which they should
appear. But that's view-only, I believe, since the attribute editing
pane operates on the DOM, where the order is so-called irrelevant and
thus Pollo shows them ... alfabetically. Ha! :-)

Pollo is by no means beta-quality, it's just sub-ambitious with regards
to its version numbering scheme ;-)

</Steven>

Re: The order of the atributes can help developers

Posted by Antonio Gallardo Rivera <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.