Posted to dev@mnemonic.apache.org by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> on 2020/10/02 22:10:15 UTC

[VOTE] Apache Mnemonic retirement

Dear members of the Mnemonic Community,

tl;dr please reply to this message.

[ ] +1 retire the Mnemonic project
[ ] -1 do not retire the Mnemonic project because...

I am getting in touch with the Mnemonic community members in regard to the health of the project.

There appears to be some work being done but almost all of the activity in the last several months is from just one person. The most recent board report states that one PMC member left in August 2020 but I was unable to find any evidence of this event.

As projects mature, they will naturally reach a point where activity reduces to a level such that the project is no longer sustainable. At Apache, projects reach this stage when there are not at least 3 active PMC members providing oversight. Projects that reach this stage are usually placed in the Attic [1] or absorbed by another Apache project willing to manage its releases.

On the other hand, if your project has very low activity for good reasons and has at least three active PMC members willing to perform oversight, it can remain an Apache project so long as the Board is properly informed and the project remains open and welcoming to new contributors.

There was a ROLL CALL last month to which only one PMC member responded.

At this time, I am requesting a formal VOTE of the Apache Mnemonic community. If you feel that this project is still viable, and able to reconstitute an active PMC with at least three members, please respond to this message accordingly. If you are a member of the PMC but have moved on or are no longer able to participate, please tell us so that the project's status is clear. Failure to respond will indicate a lack of interest in oversight.

Please don't take this message as a criticism of the project or its current chair. This is an expected event in the timeline of many open source projects, and sometimes results in a renewed interest from the development community.

Best regards,

Craig
Director, The Apache Software Foundation
clr@apache.org <ma...@apache.org>

[1] https://attic.apache.org/ <https://attic.apache.org/>

Re: [VOTE] Apache Mnemonic retirement

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
I have a comment.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 4, 2020, at 12:35 PM, Yanhui ZHAO <ya...@outlook.com> wrote:
>

> Thanks, Craig
>
> This is Yanhui Zhao and I am a PMC member. After last ROLL Call I have been connecting with Gang through weekly meetings regarding the roadmap of Mnemonic for our next steps, and we are drafting some topics including but not limited information below. After finalizing the priorities list we will send it out for the community reviews.

You might grow your community if you had this discussion in email on your dev list.

> As we are moving forward we hope a third current PMC member to work with us. If no current PMC volunteers, we hope to absorb new PMC member if possible to keep the project moving forward.

Engage your dev community in the Apache Way on your dev list.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Yanhui ZHAO <yz...@apache.org>.
Hi Kevin, Gary

Thanks for the reply. I sent out the invites for next weekend for meeting as we may have difficult to align with everyone's schedule this week (Gary's night time will be Kevin's Monday morning)

Please feel free to suggest new meeting time as appropriate, and we can make new schedule after other folks jump in.

Thanks and enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Yanhui
________________________________
Posted by "Gang(Gary) Wang" <ga...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kevin Ratnasekera <dj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Gang(Gary) Wang" <ga...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Gang(Gary) Wang" <ga...@apache.org>.
Hi Niclas,

It is clear and very helpful to guide us about our following steps,

Thanks
Gary

Posted by Kevin Ratnasekera <dj...@gmail.com>.
Hi Zhao,

clr@apache.org<ma...@apache.org> <ma...@apache.org>

Posted by Kevin Ratnasekera <dj...@gmail.com>.
Hi Folks,

Posted by Paley Shen <pa...@gmail.com>.
-1
ditto

thanks,
Paley

Posted by Li Shen <sh...@gmail.com>.
-1

> [...]

> > > community. If you feel that this project is still viable, and able to
>

> > > reconstitute an active PMC with at least three members, please respond
>

> > > this message accordingly. If you are a member of the PMC but have moved
>
> > on
>

> > > or are no longer able to participate, please tell us so that the
>
> > project's
>

> > > status is clear. Failure to respond will indicate a lack of interest in
>

> > > oversight.
>

> > > Please don't take this message as a criticism of the project or its
>

> > > current chair. This is an expected event in the timeline of many open
>

> > > source projects, and sometimes results in a renewed interest from the
>

> > > development community.
>

> > > Best regards,
>

> > > Craig
>

> > > Director, The Apache Software Foundation

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Re: [VOTE] Apache Mnemonic retirement

Posted by Chenyang Li <mo...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> > community. If you feel that this project is still viable, and able to
>
> > reconstitute an active PMC with at least three members, please respond to
>
> > this message accordingly. If you are a member of the PMC but have moved
> on
>
> > or are no longer able to participate, please tell us so that the
> project's
>
> > status is clear. Failure to respond will indicate a lack of interest in
>
> > oversight.
>

> > Please don't take this message as a criticism of the project or its
>
> > current chair. This is an expected event in the timeline of many open
>
> > source projects, and sometimes results in a renewed interest from the
>
> > development community.
>

> > Best regards,
>

> > Craig
>
> > Director, The Apache Software Foundation

        < = >
LESS IS MORE

Re: [VOTE] Apache Mnemonic retirement

Posted by Gary Wong <qi...@gmail.com>.