Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org> on 2002/05/20 20:42:21 UTC

work-in-progress + vote

Dear all,

I'm currently writing a Forrest primer giving newcomers some ideas on
what Forrest really is and how they eventually can contribute to it.

I do not know what your feelings are, but I think going live on
xml.apache.org/forrest with at least some meaningful webpages could
possibly attract some new contributors, hopefully from other XML Apache
projects. Other option is to remain silent until we are ready to hit
primetime, but I'd prefer to have those fresh contributors. I've been
polled quite a few times last weeks in private emails on the whereabouts
of Forrest, so I think interest is picking up.

As you might have experienced, I have some slack time currently so I'd
be happy to coordinate.

Prior to that, I'll compose this primer stating what is here already,
and what is to be expected during the first iteration.

Your votes, please.

[  ]  let's create ourselves a public website

</Steven>

Re: work-in-progress + vote

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
From: "Steven Noels" <st...@outerthought.org>

> Nicola wrote:
> > [WIP NOTE]
> > - I'm in the process of updating the stuff to the latest
> > forrest.cent and
> > have forrest _finally_ manage its own cent build *and* distribution
> > repository. The sitemap merge showed very little differences,
> > I should be
> > ready very soon.
>
> ooooh, even more joy in my life :-D

:-P

> any idea when you'll be able to commit?

now... oh wait... done ;-)

> > - We need an xml file that contains the list of the projects
> > that Forrest
> > builds and the infos on where the docs are and where to
> > update to. This
> > means that Forrest itself needs to update the running live websites.
> > How can this be done from a technical POV?
>
> Primary focus is putting our site up, and hopefully afterwards have some
> people thinking with us on this.

Ok.

> As far as a testing environment is concerned, you know we have
> everything in place. Andy send me over the poibot stuff he uses for the
> POI website, but I'd like to have some shell script guru on board before
> we go live.

Yup.

> There's just lots of issues ahead of us (think of projects who don't
> want Forrest building its website, or only partially - we should support
> these, too), so I'd prefer going as incremental as possible. Another
> issue is the 'frontpages', i.e. the non-project specific entry pages of
> the site (those who lack all the interesting tidbits Jakarta has) - I'd
> like to add these too.

+1

> If you are able to migrate us to Centipede 1.0 RC 3.14159,

ROTFL :'-))

> that would
> already be great and another thing not to worry about anymore.

I have upgraded the forrest.cent part, but not yet the build system, since
it would have to change again soon.

> I was
> also thinking of crash-upgrading other projects, i.e. doing the
> transition to the new DTD's and src/documentation hierarchy for them.

+1

What I usually had to do was only:
1. s1,s2,s3,s4 -> section
2. change !DTD at the top

It would be great to have transition targets.

> For the production system, we'll have to negotiate with
> root@asf-equipment.org :-) I prefer to do this after we have thoroughly
> tested this on our test infrastructure, and have a no-brainer tarball to
> install on Nagoya or the like. Given the fact they use Eyebrowse for the
> new mail archives (still a bit slow if you ask my opinion), I assume
> Java hosting on ASF equipment becomes a viable option.

Keeping fingers crossed ;-)

            - verba volant, scripta manent -

RE: work-in-progress + vote

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
I'm going to bed right now, but I'm sure checking this out in the
morning will make my day :-)

Thanks, Nicola!

</Steven>

Re: work-in-progress + vote

RE: work-in-progress + vote

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Nicola wrote:

>  [nicolaken  +1 ]  let's create ourselves a public website
>
> I agree totally.

couldn't be happier :-)

> [WIP NOTE]
> - I'm in the process of updating the stuff to the latest
> forrest.cent and
> have forrest _finally_ manage its own cent build *and* distribution
> repository. The sitemap merge showed very little differences,
> I should be
> ready very soon.

ooooh, even more joy in my life :-D

any idea when you'll be able to commit?

> - We need an xml file that contains the list of the projects
> that Forrest
> builds and the infos on where the docs are and where to
> update to. This
> means that Forrest itself needs to update the running live websites.
> How can this be done from a technical POV?

Primary focus is putting our site up, and hopefully afterwards have some
people thinking with us on this.

As far as a testing environment is concerned, you know we have
everything in place. Andy send me over the poibot stuff he uses for the
POI website, but I'd like to have some shell script guru on board before
we go live.

There's just lots of issues ahead of us (think of projects who don't
want Forrest building its website, or only partially - we should support
these, too), so I'd prefer going as incremental as possible. Another
issue is the 'frontpages', i.e. the non-project specific entry pages of
the site (those who lack all the interesting tidbits Jakarta has) - I'd
like to add these too.

If you are able to migrate us to Centipede 1.0 RC 3.14159, that would
already be great and another thing not to worry about anymore. I was

Re: work-in-progress + vote

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
From: "Steven Noels" <st...@outerthought.org>

> I'm currently writing a Forrest primer giving newcomers some ideas on
> what Forrest really is and how they eventually can contribute to it.
>
> I do not know what your feelings are, but I think going live on
> xml.apache.org/forrest with at least some meaningful webpages could
> possibly attract some new contributors, hopefully from other XML Apache
> projects.

+1

> Other option is to remain silent until we are ready to hit
> primetime, but I'd prefer to have those fresh contributors. I've been
> polled quite a few times last weeks in private emails on the whereabouts
> of Forrest, so I think interest is picking up.
>
> As you might have experienced, I have some slack time currently so I'd
> be happy to coordinate.

:-D

> Prior to that, I'll compose this primer stating what is here already,
> and what is to be expected during the first iteration.
>
> Your votes, please.

 [nicolaken  +1 ]  let's create ourselves a public website

I agree totally.

[WIP NOTE]
- I'm in the process of updating the stuff to the latest forrest.cent and
have forrest _finally_ manage its own cent build *and* distribution
repository. The sitemap merge showed very little differences, I should be
ready very soon.
I won't be upgrading Centipede to the new version /now/, since the new beta
with a new invocation worksforme is not out yet.

- The "wings" charting system in Cocoon scratchpad works, and it can already
be used, although the DTD id not fully finalized yet.

Re: work-in-progress + vote

Posted by Konstantin Piroumian <KP...@protek.com>.
From: "Steven Noels" <st...@outerthought.org>

> Dear all,
>
> I'm currently writing a Forrest primer giving newcomers some ideas on
> what Forrest really is and how they eventually can contribute to it.
>
> I do not know what your feelings are, but I think going live on
> xml.apache.org/forrest with at least some meaningful webpages could
> possibly attract some new contributors, hopefully from other XML Apache
> projects. Other option is to remain silent until we are ready to hit
> primetime, but I'd prefer to have those fresh contributors. I've been
> polled quite a few times last weeks in private emails on the whereabouts
> of Forrest, so I think interest is picking up.
>
> As you might have experienced, I have some slack time currently so I'd
> be happy to coordinate.
>
> Prior to that, I'll compose this primer stating what is here already,
> and what is to be expected during the first iteration.
>
> Your votes, please.
>
> [  ]  let's create ourselves a public website

+1 (as nearly a committer ;) )

Konstantin

Re: work-in-progress + vote

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Steven Noels wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm currently writing a Forrest primer giving newcomers some ideas on
> what Forrest really is and how they eventually can contribute to it.
>
> I do not know what your feelings are, but I think going live on
> xml.apache.org/forrest with at least some meaningful webpages could
> possibly attract some new contributors, hopefully from other XML Apache
> projects. Other option is to remain silent until we are ready to hit
> primetime, but I'd prefer to have those fresh contributors. I've been
> polled quite a few times last weeks in private emails on the whereabouts
> of Forrest, so I think interest is picking up.
>
> As you might have experienced, I have some slack time currently so I'd
> be happy to coordinate.
>
> Prior to that, I'll compose this primer stating what is here already,
> and what is to be expected during the first iteration.
>
> Your votes, please.

[ crossley +1]  let's create ourselves a public website

I think that we should go public ASAP, rather than wait
until we are fully ready.

Steven, it is excellent that you are able to spend some
time on the "Forrest primer". That is what we have been
really missing, to help all us be co-ordinated.
--David