Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by nirvdrum <km...@servprise.com> on 2007/05/25 19:30:56 UTC

Dealing with bad POMs?

Hi,

As noted earlier, I'm looking to move from maven2 over to ant+ivy.  During
the migration, I've run across problems with a few POMs on ibiblio.  maven2
apparently deals with the problems okay, since I never had problems
downloading the files.  ivy doesn't seem to allow me to. Is there anyway to
tell ivy to download the files no matter what?

As an example of the problems, one POM marks a version as 4.0.1, while the
artifact is actually at version 4.0.2.  ivy finds the files in the correct
path, but then compares against the POM and borks when the versions don't
match.

In another, the organization defined in the POM does not match that used as
the path to the artifact.  Once again, ivy finds the file fine, but borks
when doing a consistency check on the POM.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

Re: Dealing with bad POMs?

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
checkconsistency is (slightly) documented here:
http://incubator.apache.org/ivy/doc/configuration/resolvers.html

The consistency check disabled is the check that the module descriptor found
contains meta information consistent with the meta information of the
dependency descriptor which has lead to the module descriptor.

Xavier

Re: Dealing with bad POMs?

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.

Re: Dealing with bad POMs?

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Dealing with bad POMs?

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
nirvdrum wrote:
> Alright.  I can certainly raise issues with them, but the maven tool itself
> is resilient to these types of errors.

well, the tool may be resilient but really the process should be robust
against dirty data getting up on the repository. If you do find
inconsistencies on the central repositories, let us know and we will
take it up with the repository manager (carlos). Normally the team has a
'no updates to published' metadata, but illegal metadata may be a
special case (rather than dependency data, which can be wrong but not
invalid)

-steve

Re: Dealing with bad POMs?

Posted by nirvdrum <km...@servprise.com>.

Re: Dealing with bad POMs?

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.
I guess the best thing to do is to raise an issue in
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MEV as described there :
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-maven-evangelism.html .  The
thing you describe are clearly errors in the repository.

As a workaround, you can may try to use an other repository where you
can install the correct poms (or ivy.xml files).  Maybe using a dual
resolver.

Note also that ivy can work with a repository without pom.xml nor
ivy.xml when the modules have no dependencies.

I hope it helps.

Gilles

2007/5/25, nirvdrum <km...@servprise.com>:

> Hi,
>
> As noted earlier, I'm looking to move from maven2 over to ant+ivy.  During
> the migration, I've run across problems with a few POMs on ibiblio.  maven2
> apparently deals with the problems okay, since I never had problems
> downloading the files.  ivy doesn't seem to allow me to. Is there anyway to
> tell ivy to download the files no matter what?
>
> As an example of the problems, one POM marks a version as 4.0.1, while the
> artifact is actually at version 4.0.2.  ivy finds the files in the correct
> path, but then compares against the POM and borks when the versions don't
> match.
>
> In another, the organization defined in the POM does not match that used as
> the path to the artifact.  Once again, ivy finds the file fine, but borks
> when doing a consistency check on the POM.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin

Gilles SCOKART