Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Michael Peters <mp...@plusthree.com> on 2007/05/10 17:28:44 UTC

problems with Makefile.PL for libapreq 1.33

This is kind of convoluted, but bare with me:

I have Apache2/mod_perl2 and Apache::Test installed on my system (FC6) in the
standard locations. I now want to install Apache1/mod_perl1 and libapreq 1.33 in
a separate location that doesn't have Apache::Test. Now running Makefile.PL in
for libapreq (after Apache1/mod_perl1 have already been built in my local
install of course) always fails with this message:

mod_perl 1.x ( < 1.99) is required at Makefile.PL line 58

And it doesn't matter what I put into PERL5LIB, LIB, APXS or APACHE environment
vars. The reason is because libapreq's Makefile.PL first tries to locate
Apache::Test, which on my system is configured to work with Apache2/mod_perl2.
Apache::Test loads Apache::TestConfig which then loads mod_perl2.pm. And that's
how it's supposed to work. But Apache::TestConfig sets $INC{'mod_perl.pm'} to
/dev/null so when libapreq's Makefile.PL tries to require mod_perl it instead
thinks it's mod_perl2 (not because mod_perl2 comes before mod_perl in @INC, but
because Apache::Test specifically loads mod_perl2).

The attached patch should fix this problem in Makefile.PL by doing the test for
mod_perl version before the test for Apache::Test.

--
Michael Peters
Developer

Re: problems with Makefile.PL for libapreq 1.33

Posted by Michael Peters <mp...@plusthree.com>.
Marius Feraru wrote:
> Michael Peters wrote:
>> Weird. This seems to have been a problem that was noticed in 2005 and Stas
>> recommended almost the exact same patch.
>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/perl-modperl/200505.mbox/%3c42802476.4080702@stason.org%3e
>
>> Any reason this wasn't applied then?
> It was. In 2005 ;-)
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/httpd/apreq/branches/1.x/Makefile.PL?r1=109983&r2=169403
>
> ++ Issac Goldstand announced a release candidate a while ago:
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/perl-modperl/200704.mbox/%3c4631A503.2030606@beamartyr.net%3e

Anything I could do to help move this along? It's really annoying when it bites
you and it's pretty annoying to track down for someone unfamiliar with it and
Apache::Test.

Posted by Michael Peters <mp...@plusthree.com>.

Posted by Marius Feraru <al...@n0i.net>.

Re: problems with Makefile.PL for libapreq 1.33

Posted by Michael Peters <mp...@plusthree.com>.

Posted by Michael Peters <mp...@plusthree.com>.