Posted to dev@jspwiki.apache.org by Florian Holeczek <fl...@holeczek.de> on 2008/06/25 23:48:34 UTC

Re: Versioning in JCR

Hi Janne,

> Actually, I was thinking that maybe we should just skip the use of
> JCR versioning, and do things the same way we've done before (i.e.
> having a separate directory (or node) where we can put our versions.)

have a look at the JCR 2.0 preview... in 3.11, Versioning, there are
some changes described: JCR 2.0 will allow a repository to support a
simple versioning feature, which is just the linear one we want.

FYI,
 Florian

Re: Versioning in JCR

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.
> have a look at the JCR 2.0 preview... in 3.11, Versioning, there are
> some changes described: JCR 2.0 will allow a repository to support a
> simple versioning feature, which is just the linear one we want.

Kind of.  It still requires you to checkout() and checkin(), which
does make our life a bit complicated, and also e.g. plugin developers
as well - one must always call checkout() before doing any setProperty
() e.g. calls, then call checkin() instead of save().   Of course, it
works as poor man's transactions, so it does protect the data
integrity of the repository.  But it does make life a bit more
complicated because you have to know which nodes are versioned and
which aren't.

/Janne