Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com> on 2003/08/13 00:44:30 UTC

Can we delete RunDataFactory?

Hi all,

I noticed that RunDataFactory is really old.  Notice this comment:
// NOTE: getRunData( HttpServletRequest req,
        // HttpServletResponse res ) has been deprecated 3-3-2000.
        // Wait a couple months (before Turbine 1.0) and remove this
        // method.

I don't mind doing the work, but I think we should remove it as 1.0 has been
out a bit...

:-)
Eric

Posted by Quinton McCombs <qu...@qdog.org>.

There is a way around this.  I seem to remember someone else patching one or
more of the fulcrum components that I converted to use the class name.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Move Torque related classes to seperate turbine module.

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
"Eric Pugh" <ep...@upstate.com> writes:

>> With the rifts that opened inside the Avalon project lately and all
>> the bad blood going on between the various authors, I'm not sure that
>> using anything beyond the Avalon Interface stuff would be a wise
>> decision. I have just skimmed the various discussions but I don't like
>> the fact that there seems to be no clear idea where to head with
>> Avalon in the future. There has been even talk about "redoing the
>> interfaces" and "split up the development", so I don't feel too good
>> about Avalon currently.
>>
>I know what you mean about not being sure about ECM.  I have been perusing
>some competing IoC containers like picocontainer, and some the Avalon
>containers.  I am somewhat of the opinion that while ECM may not be the
>best, it does seem to work.  And eventually we may want to jump to
>Fortress/Merlin/Picocontainer/name your favorite container!

I asked about this on avalon-dev a while ago and some of the avalon
people told me, that Fortress would be nice in some aspects,
e.g. Logging.

I don't like the fact that components from the AvalonComponentService
can't and don't use Logging as transparently as Turbine native
service. I'd like to get some sort of adapter that a container
provides the components with a logging facility a la
commons-logging. I don't know whether this is possible but getting one
large log with just "avalon" as facility and no class names (which
IMHO only leads to developers putting the class names into each and
every logging statement) is not desireable.

Some of the avalon people told me that fortress can do this.

>I think for anything complex, what we want to do is what you did with the
>Torque component and the spice project does, which is to split the container
>wrapper from the core code.

Yep.

>I may dig in a little on the other containers, but I have a feeling which
>ever one we pick will be the wrong one in a years time...

>So, to sum up, I am going to plow forward on converting some more of the
>core Turbine components in fulcrum.  I am going to write some more unit
>tests.  Try and port the best of Turbine-2 to fulcrum.  And any unit tests I
>write I may try and put back into Turbine.  Then, as soon as we get 2.3 out
>of the way we can evaluate which fulcrum components to either move into the
>Turbine-2 cvs or to leave in fulcrum, which becomes a repo for avalon
>components.

>Sound good?

Yep. Getting some working code to play with is the best that can happen.

	Regards
		Henning

"Dominate!! Dominate!! Eat your young and aggregate! I have grotty silicon!"
      -- AOL CD when played backwards  (User Friendly - 200-10-15)

Re: [PROPOSAL] Move Torque related classes to seperate turbine module.

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.

RE: What's left for 2.3 release?

Posted by Colin Chalmers <co...@maxware.nl>.
"Colin Chalmers" <co...@maxware.nl> writes:

>What still needs done for this (2.3 release) and how can I help?

Give me 12 hours of your time. ;-)

If I had them to give ...... ;-)

/c

I've brought the download dirs in shape on sunday. All that is left is
fix up a few links in the docs, tag and roll the RC1. I will do this
tonight, I've tagged a few hours for this right after work.

RE: What's left for 2.3 release?

Posted by Colin Chalmers <co...@maxware.nl>.

Re: What's left for 2.3 release?

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.

Re: What's left for 2.3 release?

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.

RE: What's left for 2.3 release?

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.
The upshot on this stuff is that is all becomes relevant in a post 2.3
world.  The only thing I can possible think that we might want to jigger
around before them is swapping the avalon component to using fortress or
something else..  But again, I think we need a 2.3 RC more!

Thanks Henning, can't wait to try it out!

Eric

RE: What's left for 2.3 release?

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.

What's left for 2.3 release?

What's left for 2.3 release?

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.

I agree, however I think the idea with many of the fulcrum components was
that they are not Turbine specific.  It seems to me that something like the
DVSL service or Localization are really just a component, with no
dependencies on turbine.  However, others that maybe have a reference to
rundata or something then are clearly turbine components and should be in
turbine-components.  I actually think that to reduce all the cvs modules, we
would have jakarta-turbine-2/src for turbine and
jakarta-turbine-2/components for the components that are Turbine specific.

> Before you actually delete code from src/java, please talk with
> jmcnally and the other t3 developers/users, I know that they actually
> deploy/use Fulcrum and it wouldn't be nice from us (that we don't even
> use Fulcrum) to break code that they use.
Good point, I may just not worry about it for now.

> Personally, I'd prefer org.apache.turbine.components.<componentname>
> to make clear that this is really _turbine_ code. For other stuff,
> like the quartz scheduler: I wouldn't integrate this into the turbine
> repo itself. If this is a component that implements a scheduler and
> works in our context without changes: Fine. We put a "3rd party
> components that work with Turbine" on the web site, add a link and are
> done.
Techinically, any Avalon component is Turbine compatible.  However, I can
see something like Quartz being third party, and then adding something that
makes Quartz work smoothly with Turbine in the Turbine cvs.  For instance a
Turbine configuration -> Quartz configuration adapter.\

> >Did you get a chance to read my follow up email and look at
> the changes I
> >made in Fulcrum?  After spending a stack of time trying to understand
> >Fulcrum, I think I ended up at the same point you are at,
> about the Avalon
> >components, and ditching the ServiceBroker stuff...
>
> Yes, I'm fine with this. But IMHO this is not really relevant to
> Turbine 2.3 but to future stuff. If you have time to work on this,
> cool.
>
> >So, in preperation for the post 2.3 future..  Should I
> continue down the
> >path I am?  I am happy to slap in a quartz version of the
> scheduler as well.
> >(might throw in the wrapper to my JCrontab one as well ;-) ).
>
> The quartz scheduler has its own home page (don't know where, would
> have to look) and I'm fine with where it is. We should work with its
> author so it can be used with the AvalonComponentService in 2.3 (hint,
> hint. ;-) ) and in further Turbine stuff.
>
> >If we are happy with what I am doing, then I will start
> deleting code out of
> >/src/java and replacing it with the components.  My only
> other question
> >though is should all the services become components?  And
> any suggestions on
> >order...
>
> Reworking fulcrum is a nice thing, even if all we do in the future is
> just salvaging out the good bits. I don't even know whether there are
> good bits left. The turbine-2 code has a solid year more work in it,
> so it might have actually fallen behind turbine in some aspects.
My goal is to have solid unit tests for anything I port.  So, I will try and
compare the Turbine-2 and fulcrum versions and try and pick up the best of
both.  However, I may need extra eyes for this!

> The reactor build is cool, too (once we get a maven version to be
> actually usable with the reactor), but I'd like to still be able to
> build the various components separately if only for debugging. If you
> want to see an interdependence nightmare, try building a single Avalon
> package like "excalibur-component" from source. You will end up with
> almost everything from the avalon project checked out and building
> before you actually get what you want. I'd like to build a single
> component which fetches all of its dependencies from ibiblio.
The way the reactor is set up, you can build each individual component
seperatly.  If it requires an earlier dependency, then that is versioned in
the project.xml, and can be retrieved from iBiblio.

> BTW: I'd prefer that we call jars of the various components broken out
> of fulcrum to be called fulcrum-<whatever>-<version>.jar. So there is
> clear where they come from.
I think they are!

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.

[FULCRUM] Migrate Fulcrum components to Avalon... WAS [PROPOSAL] Move Torque related classes to seperate turbine module.

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.
Hi all,

I did a fresh checkout of Fulcrum..  And there are errors all over the
place..  I am somewhat of the opinion that if we can make the consensus that
using components via Avalon is the way forward, then we should delete all
the components that don't compile in Fulcrum, and then start moving
components over from Turbine-2 as a fresh start.  While is seems like all
the code in /src/ is some what trashed, it seems like someone (Quinton?) was
setting Fulcrum up to use the maven reactor setup, because there are /pull,
/testcontainer, and /xmlrpc subprojects.

This follows somewhat the pattern of the Xingu project that uses a reactor
to build each component.  It means you have lots of little jars, and seems
to help with breaking up all the components, so that Fulcrum doesn't end up
as one "super build"...

To see where this would lead me, I converted the various components that had
unit tests into reactor driven subprojects.

Converted:
/dvsl
/localization
/crypto

I was basically following the style that Quinton established with
testcomponent, pull, and xmlrpc.  I fixed a stack of small bugs with those
as well.  The whole fulcrum container with the whacky
ServiceBroker/ServiceManager stuff brought over from Turbine core I just
couldn't figure out.  So, at this point there are now 5 components that run
as Avalon components, and don't have any dependencies on Turbine.  I ended
up not converting the Facade classes for dvsl, localization, and crypto, as
I just could not get my head around them.

To see the build happen, from jakarta-turbine-fulcrum/ run maven build to
see the reactor work.  For some reason the reactor can't build the docs, but
you can from each individual directory.

I think this is a viable path forward.  I think getting anything that works
in Fulcrum is miles better then the current amazingly sophicsticated and
amazingly broken, hard to grok code in /src/java and /src/test.

I don't know what the deprecation rules are..  But I can't imagine anyone is
successfully using Fulcrum, at least judging by the state of CVS head.

Any feed back would be much appreciated...

Sincerely,
Eric Pugh

Posted by Leandro Rodrigo Saad Cruz <le...@ibnetwork.com.br>.

Posted by Leandro Rodrigo Saad Cruz <le...@ibnetwork.com.br>.

RE: Can we delete RunDataFactory?

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.
I wouldn't say that we are goign to delete it quite yet, but the "non
deprecated" approved way is to replace it with this:

        data = ((RunDataService)
TurbineServices.getInstance().getService(RunDataService.SERVICE_NAME)).getRu
nData(request, response, config);

        context = TurbineVelocity.getContext(data);

At least, that works if you are testing in a Cactus type environment.

However, thanks for bringing up the documentation on the wiki.  I will
update it!

Eric Pugh

====

AW: Can we delete RunDataFactory?