Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Loupy Garou <ex...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/15 15:44:23 UTC

Fwd: Howdy ! A little help ?

 Hey folks,

Well After meny hours of stuffing around and not getting very far I need
help :)

First of all what I am looking at doing.

I would like to be able to have a webapps in a users home directorys which
would  be linked to a virtual host setup so they can play with their own
domain.

Ie.
/home/websiteuserone/webapps

so kinda like the good old public_html that you use to get etc.

Sounds simple lol.

Now never having used tomcat before .... heh you can see how far I got. :(

Now the System is a CentOS 5.2 base install. with Tomcat 6. I do not wish to
use apache so I do not have that running etc.

Now I have to admit I am still quite a nub when it comes to linux. So in
saying that how to I get tomcat setup in this fasion ? What do I need to do
?

I know these kinda questions can be painful but I really could use the help
and would be very thankful as well.

kindly Stu

RE: Howdy ! A little help ?

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Loupy Garou [mailto:exilewolf@gmail.com]
> Subject: Fwd: Howdy ! A little help ?
>
> I would like to be able to have a webapps in a users home
> directorys which would  be linked to a virtual host setup
> so they can play with their own domain.

Take a look at the docs here:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/host.html#User%20Web%20Applications

Come back if you have any more questions after reading that.

 - Chuck

Re: Howdy ! A little help ?

Posted by Gregor Schneider <rc...@googlemail.com>.
- take a look into your server.xml-file:

somewhere you shoudl find the <Host>-element:

just add the attribute "appBase" in there and you're set.

however, since you're running a pre-packed Tomcat, I don't know where
centOS is storing the Tomcat-config-files - will be your part to find
that out.

further info about the <Host>-element can be found
here:http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/host.html

rgds

gregor
--
just because your paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you...
gpgp-fp: 79A84FA526807026795E4209D3B3FE028B3170B2