Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by Bastiaan Zapf <ba...@tu-clausthal.de> on 2002/10/22 15:17:20 UTC

My experiences so far (CVS version)

Hello fellow Xindice Users,

My experiences so far with the CVS version under Win 98:

I could easily build the WAR version and integrate it into Tomcat, but
somehow I cant maintain the db by commandline, because the class

org.apache.xindice.tools.XMLUserTools

seems to be missing. I'm not sure if this is a bug or intention.

If I try to access the DB via XMLRPC (PHP) like this:

****
$database=new Xindice("(my server)/xindice",8080);
$result=$database->createCollection("/db","test");
echo $database->getError();
****

In the Tomcat localhost_log, I read that there was a NullPointerException in
org.apache.xindice.server.XindiceServlet.doGet, line 205. Appearantly, the
Variable resultString was never set, but I didnt know how to output any
debugging messages, so I couldnt track it down better. This error happens
regardless of what command I issue by RPC.

I get the Error message: "Cannot send xmlrpc message to the server" and no
result.

Are my Access parameters ok? Is it true that I have to use port 8080 (that
Tomcat is using and responding at)?

	Basti

Batch problem was my fault, working Win98 batch appended |was Re: My experiences so far (CVS version)

Posted by Bastiaan Zapf <ba...@tu-clausthal.de>.
> Try to not call the servlet, it may solve some problems

Before I discovered the error, this was what I wrote:

***

The error happens regardless of if I access the servlet or I don't.

The Class "org.apache.xindice.tools.XMLUserTools" is not found, and I do not
even find it manually in the source tree.

***

I looked over my installation again and discovered the source of the error:

I installed a corrected version of the Batch files in my /bin, because the
older Batch files did not work with my windows version (obviously Win98 cant
handle for %%i in (X) when X has a path). I did not see that the corrected
Batch files are for the non-cvs Version.

When I reinstall the /bin and correct the batchfiles by hand (I appended a
working version, this one will still fail if xindice is not installed on c:,
I think. This is because cd on another drive won't actually change the drive
you're working on) it's working again.

How about I write a set of new (or alternative) batch files so that this
never happens again to anyone? Would anyone then take them into the cvs?

I knew before that calling the Servlet via a browser makes no sense.

	Basti

Re: My experiences so far (CVS version)

Posted by "Vladimir R. Bossicard" <vl...@bossicard.com>.
> In the Tomcat localhost_log, I read that there was a NullPointerException in
> org.apache.xindice.server.XindiceServlet.doGet, line 205. Appearantly, the
> Variable resultString was never set, but I didnt know how to output any
> debugging messages, so I couldnt track it down better. This error happens
> regardless of what command I issue by RPC.

When you first open to the localhost:8080/Xindice page, the infoPath of
the servlet is null and XindiceServlet cannot handle it -> it crashes.
The problem is in the servlet and not in the "serverish" (since Xindice
is not a server anymore) code of Xindice.

 From my experience, simply starting Tomcat with the Xindice war is
sufficient to use Xindice with the command line.

Try to not call the servlet, it may solve some problems

-Vladimir

--
Vladimir R. Bossicard
www.bossicard.com