Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2004/09/14 19:32:31 UTC

Re: Shorten the default config and the distribution (was: IfModule in the Default Config)

At 10:21 AM 9/14/2004, Joshua Slive wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, [ISO-8859-15] André Malo wrote:
>>A >30 KB default config, which nobody outside this circle here
>>really understands, isn't helpful - especially for beginners.
>
>I agree that the current config file is too big and ugly.  But let's be a little careful here.  There needs to be a balance.  Detailed config files do help users understand the capabilities of the server and make it much easier to activate features.
>
>So I suggest we talk about specifics, rather than just trying to reduce the size.  For example:
>
>- Can we get rid of the non-unix mpm stuff from the default config. (Don't mean to offend os/2 and beos (and possibly netware), but they are really superfluous and confusing for most people.)

I'd vote -no-, with a caviat.  In our main example.conf, they should
be shown side-by-side.  E.g.

# Threaded Unix MPMs, e.g. Worker, require mod_cgid which forks
# it's own seperate process to dispatch the startup of cgi executables
#
<IfModule mpm_worker.c>
    LoadModule mod_cgid.conf
</IfModule>

# Most non-threaded Unix MPMs, e.g. Prefork, and non-unix MPM's
# use mod_cgi, where the httpd server process spawns the cgi
# process itself.
#
<IfModule !mpm_worker.c>
    LoadModule mod_cgi.conf
</IfModule>

... so any user trying to understand why they don't have mod_cgid
would run across this note and gasp "Ahhh!  That's what cgid means!"

I'm trying to understand what other anomalies you mean between
Unix and Win32, they aren't that dis-similar.

Honestly - this could be improved;

<IfModule !mpm_netware.c>
<IfModule !perchild.c>
#ScoreBoardFile @rel_logfiledir@/apache_runtime_status
</IfModule>
</IfModule>

with some multiple-condition IfModule clause...

<IfModule !perchild.c && !mpm_netware.c>
#ScoreBoardFile @rel_logfiledir@/apache_runtime_status
</IfModule>

but that's neither here nor there.  In this case, you have an
exceptional case for Netware and a specific Unix MPM.  Are you
suggesting keep all the mpm exceptions for unix and ditch those
for the "Other" platforms?  Bleh.  But I have a productive
suggestion (I hope)...
>- Can we get rid of most of the AddLanguage/AddCharset directives?  They are a constant source of bug reports, and I really can't imagine that many people use them as-is.  (Do people really name their files index.html.utf32be.el?)

We have httpd-std.conf.in and ssl-std.conf.in, why not break
some of these more lengthy 'passages' into their very own
includes?  First and foremost, httpd-intl.conf.in - this
would take tons of lines across and leave a couple lines

# Internationalization - Character Sets and Languages
#
# mod_mime and mod_negotiation can serve alternate content, based
# on the client's request headers and server content filenames.
# Uncomment this directive to serve multiple languages or character sets
# based on the filename extention.
#
#Include httpd-intl.conf

We could do this to proxy and many other "complex" modules.  Best yet:

drop lines and lines of 'if this mpm we need that', and create
detailed and easy-to-read per-mpm subconfigs.  That would offer
us httpd-prefork.conf, httpd-worker.conf etc etc.  Only the
respective, installed mpm's conf would need to be present.  All
such characteristics would move out to this file.

If that's too confusing, have these per-mpm subconfigs in the src,
but install only httpd-mpm.conf into every installation.

(Oh, for those who install all configs into /usr/etc or other common
conf locations, ssl-std.conf.in should really be installed as
httpd-ssl.conf to avoid ambiguity.)

But there is no reason to keep as many lines as we have in a single
config, multiple config files can be enormously helpful to the admin
to break apart these entirely separate aspects of configuration.
This would also reintroduce httpd-proxy.conf if someone wanted our
example (again) rather than one of many bad examples out there.

Bill

Re: Shorten the default config and the distribution (was: IfModule in the Default Config)

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
At 01:30 PM 9/14/2004, Joshua Slive wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>>I'm trying to understand what other anomalies you mean between
>>Unix and Win32, they aren't that dis-similar.
>
>I was mainly refering to the big block of mpm-control directives near the top.
>
>But I like the suggestion of getting rid of almost all of that (besides some basic things like MaxClients) and not discriminating against non-unix mpms.

I'm actually thinking that httpd-mpm.conf would include -all- of
the performance characteristics and server resources (e.g. the
switchboard and other mechanical tools) for running the server.
Existing directives I'd suggest (beyond the big-per-mpm block :-)
include the following (and don't include enablesendfile/mmap etc
because those are filesystem dependant and can vary by <dir > block)
but only one-mpm-per-flavor of the .conf files...

  52                #
  53                # The accept serialization lock file MUST BE STORED ON A LOCAL DISK.
  54                #

  55 <http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/httpd-docs-2.0/conf/httpd-std.conf.in?r1=1.44&r2=1.45>fielding  1.45 #<IfModule !mpm_winnt.c>
  56                #<IfModule !mpm_netware.c>

  57 striker   1.1  #LockFile @rel_logfiledir@/accept.lock

  58 <http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/httpd-docs-2.0/conf/httpd-std.conf.in?r1=1.44&r2=1.45>fielding  1.45 #</IfModule>
  59                #</IfModule>

  60 striker   1.1
  61                #
  62                # ScoreBoardFile: File used to store internal server process information.
  63                # If unspecified (the default), the scoreboard will be stored in an
  64                # anonymous shared memory segment, and will be unavailable to third-party
  65                # applications.
  66                # If specified, ensure that no two invocations of Apache share the same
  67                # scoreboard file. The scoreboard file MUST BE STORED ON A LOCAL DISK.
  68                #

  69 <http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/httpd-docs-2.0/conf/httpd-std.conf.in?r1=1.44&r2=1.45>fielding  1.45 #<IfModule !mpm_netware.c>
  70                #<IfModule !perchild.c>

  71 striker   1.1  #ScoreBoardFile @rel_logfiledir@/apache_runtime_status

  72 <http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/httpd-docs-2.0/conf/httpd-std.conf.in?r1=1.44&r2=1.45>fielding  1.45 #</IfModule>
  73                #</IfModule>

  74 striker   1.1
  75
  76                #
  77                # PidFile: The file in which the server should record its process
  78                # identification number when it starts.
  79                #
  80                <IfModule !mpm_netware.c>

  81 <http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/httpd-docs-2.0/conf/httpd-std.conf.in?r1=1.1&r2=1.2>jerenkrantz 1.2  PidFile @rel_runtimedir@/httpd.pid

  82 striker     1.1  </IfModule>
  83
  84                  #
  85                  # Timeout: The number of seconds before receives and sends time out.
  86                  #
  88
  89                  #
  90                  # KeepAlive: Whether or not to allow persistent connections (more than
  91                  # one request per connection). Set to "Off" to deactivate.
  92                  #
  93                  KeepAlive On
  94
  95                  #
  96                  # MaxKeepAliveRequests: The maximum number of requests to allow
  97                  # during a persistent connection. Set to 0 to allow an unlimited amount.
  98                  # We recommend you leave this number high, for maximum performance.
  99                  #
 100                  MaxKeepAliveRequests 100
 101
 102                  #
 103 striker     1.1  # KeepAliveTimeout: Number of seconds to wait for the next request from the
 104                  # same client on the same connection.
 105                  #
 106                  KeepAliveTimeout 15
 107
 108                  ##
 109                  ## Server-Pool Size Regulation (MPM specific)
 110                  ##
 111
 112                  # prefork MPM
 113                  # StartServers: number of server processes to start
 114                  # MinSpareServers: minimum number of server processes which are kept spare
 115                  # MaxSpareServers: maximum number of server processes which are kept spare
 116                  # MaxClients: maximum number of server processes allowed to start
 117                  # MaxRequestsPerChild: maximum number of requests a server process serves
 118                  <IfModule prefork.c>

 119 <http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/httpd-docs-2.0/conf/httpd-std.conf.in?r1=1.27&r2=1.28>wsanchez    1.28     StartServers          5
 120                      MinSpareServers       5
 121                      MaxSpareServers      10
 122                      MaxClients          150
 123                      MaxRequestsPerChild   0

 124 striker     1.1  </IfModule>
 125
 126                  # worker MPM
 127                  # StartServers: initial number of server processes to start
 128                  # MaxClients: maximum number of simultaneous client connections
 129                  # MinSpareThreads: minimum number of worker threads which are kept spare
 130                  # MaxSpareThreads: maximum number of worker threads which are kept spare
 131                  # ThreadsPerChild: constant number of worker threads in each server process
 132                  # MaxRequestsPerChild: maximum number of requests a server process serves
 133                  <IfModule worker.c>

 134 <http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/httpd-docs-2.0/conf/httpd-std.conf.in?r1=1.27&r2=1.28>wsanchez    1.28     StartServers          2
 135                      MaxClients          150
 136                      MinSpareThreads      25
 137                      MaxSpareThreads      75
 138                      ThreadsPerChild      25
 139                      MaxRequestsPerChild   0

 140 striker     1.1  </IfModule>
 141
 142                  # perchild MPM
 143                  # NumServers: constant number of server processes
 144                  # StartThreads: initial number of worker threads in each server process
 145                  # MinSpareThreads: minimum number of worker threads which are kept spare
 146                  # MaxSpareThreads: maximum number of worker threads which are kept spare
 147                  # MaxThreadsPerChild: maximum number of worker threads in each server process
 148                  # MaxRequestsPerChild: maximum number of connections per server process
 149                  <IfModule perchild.c>

 150 <http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/httpd-docs-2.0/conf/httpd-std.conf.in?r1=1.27&r2=1.28>wsanchez    1.28     NumServers            5
 151                      StartThreads          5
 152                      MinSpareThreads       5
 153                      MaxSpareThreads      10
 154                      MaxThreadsPerChild   20
 155                      MaxRequestsPerChild   0

 156 striker     1.1  </IfModule>
 157
 158                  # WinNT MPM
 159                  # ThreadsPerChild: constant number of worker threads in the server process
 160                  # MaxRequestsPerChild: maximum  number of requests a server process serves
 161                  <IfModule mpm_winnt.c>

 162 <http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/httpd-docs-2.0/conf/httpd-std.conf.in?r1=1.27&r2=1.28>wsanchez    1.28     ThreadsPerChild     250
 163                      MaxRequestsPerChild   0

 164 striker     1.1  </IfModule>
 165
 166                  # BeOS MPM
 167                  # StartThreads: how many threads do we initially spawn?
 168                  # MaxClients:   max number of threads we can have (1 thread == 1 client)
 169                  # MaxRequestsPerThread: maximum number of requests each thread will process
 170                  <IfModule beos.c>

 171 <http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/httpd-docs-2.0/conf/httpd-std.conf.in?r1=1.27&r2=1.28>wsanchez    1.28     StartThreads            10
 172                      MaxClients              50
 173                      MaxRequestsPerThread 10000
 174                  </IfModule>

 175 striker     1.1
 176                  # NetWare MPM

 177 <http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/httpd-docs-2.0/conf/httpd-std.conf.in?r1=1.6&r2=1.7>slive       1.7  # ThreadStackSize: Stack size allocated for each worker thread
 178                  # StartThreads: Number of worker threads launched at server startup
 179                  # MinSpareThreads: Minimum number of idle threads, to handle request spikes
 180                  # MaxSpareThreads: Maximum number of idle threads
 181                  # MaxThreads: Maximum number of worker threads alive at the same time
 182                  # MaxRequestsPerChild: Maximum  number of requests a thread serves. It is
 183                  #                      recommended that the default value of 0 be set for this
 184                  #                      directive on NetWare.  This will allow the thread to
 185                  #                      continue to service requests indefinitely.

 186 striker     1.1  <IfModule mpm_netware.c>

 187 <http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/httpd-docs-2.0/conf/httpd-std.conf.in?r1=1.27&r2=1.28>wsanchez    1.28     ThreadStackSize      65536
 188                      StartThreads           250
 189                      MinSpareThreads         25
 190                      MaxSpareThreads        250
 191                      MaxThreads            1000
 192                      MaxRequestsPerChild      0

 193 <http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/httpd-docs-2.0/conf/httpd-std.conf.in?r1=1.56&r2=1.57>bnicholes   1.57     MaxMemFree             100

 194 striker     1.1  </IfModule>
 195

 196 <http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/httpd-docs-2.0/conf/httpd-std.conf.in?r1=1.3&r2=1.4>bjh         1.4  # OS/2 MPM

 197 <http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/httpd-docs-2.0/conf/httpd-std.conf.in?r1=1.6&r2=1.7>slive       1.7  # StartServers: Number of server processes to maintain
 198                  # MinSpareThreads: Minimum number of idle threads per process,
 199                  #                  to handle request spikes
 200                  # MaxSpareThreads: Maximum number of idle threads per process
 201                  # MaxRequestsPerChild: Maximum number of connections per server process

 202 <http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/httpd-docs-2.0/conf/httpd-std.conf.in?r1=1.3&r2=1.4>bjh         1.4  <IfModule mpmt_os2.c>

 203 <http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/httpd-docs-2.0/conf/httpd-std.conf.in?r1=1.27&r2=1.28>wsanchez    1.28     StartServers           2
 204                      MinSpareThreads        5
 205                      MaxSpareThreads       10
 206                      MaxRequestsPerChild    0

 207 <http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/httpd-docs-2.0/conf/httpd-std.conf.in?r1=1.3&r2=1.4>bjh         1.4  </IfModule>

Re: Shorten the default config and the distribution (was: IfModule in the Default Config)

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> I'm trying to understand what other anomalies you mean between
> Unix and Win32, they aren't that dis-similar.

I was mainly refering to the big block of mpm-control directives near the
top.

But I like the suggestion of getting rid of almost all of that (besides
some basic things like MaxClients) and not discriminating against non-unix
mpms.

> We have httpd-std.conf.in and ssl-std.conf.in, why not break
> some of these more lengthy 'passages' into their very own
> includes?  First and foremost, httpd-intl.conf.in - this
> would take tons of lines across and leave a couple lines

Honestly, I prefer the one-config format, because I think it is easier for
the new user to find what is going on if they know everything is in one
file.  But this is a situation where personal preferences will vary.

But I have a compromise suggestion (based on Manoj's idea).  What about a
conf/examples/ directory that would contain a bunch of little files with
config snipets (like international.conf.in, proxy.conf.in,
vhosts.conf.in).  Given the name of the directory, I would expect people
to either copy-paste the stuff in httpd.conf or move the file before
Include'ing it.  I wouldn't provide commented-out Include directives for
these files.

Joshua.

Re: Shorten the default config and the distribution (was: IfModule in the Default Config)

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.