Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2005/05/17 23:17:29 UTC

PAUSE and multiple META.yml

Hi Andreas,

Was PAUSE fixed to support multiple META.yml files?

As we bundle Apache-Test with modperl-2.0, until now we were excluding the
Apache-Test/META.yml from the modperl-2.0 tarball. But now we need to
bundle things within Apache-Test, so if Apache-Test/META.yml is not
included that bundle will be attempted to be indexed.

So now we will have Apache-Test/Test-Simple/ and Apache-Test/META.yml that
tells PAUSE to ignore the Test-Simple dir...

The only way to workaround this now is to copy that bit from
modperl-2.0/Apache-Test/META.yml to modperl-2.0/META.yml but it becomes
more and more error-prone.

Any plans for supporting META rules in sub-dirs as well? So each level
will only need to govern its vicinity and sub-dirs of their sub-dirs, etc.

Thanks.

Re: PAUSE and multiple META.yml

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Andreas J Koenig wrote:

>   > Hi Andreas,
>   > Was PAUSE fixed to support multiple META.yml files?
>
> Yes, with a simple rule. Multiple META.yml files are allowed, only the
> top level one is accepted, all others are ignored.

Aha! That's a good news. Thanks Andreas.

>   > As we bundle Apache-Test with modperl-2.0, until now we were excluding the
>   > Apache-Test/META.yml from the modperl-2.0 tarball. But now we need to
>   > bundle things within Apache-Test, so if Apache-Test/META.yml is not
>   > included that bundle will be attempted to be indexed.
>
>   > So now we will have Apache-Test/Test-Simple/ and Apache-Test/META.yml that
>   > tells PAUSE to ignore the Test-Simple dir...
>
>   > The only way to workaround this now is to copy that bit from
>   > modperl-2.0/Apache-Test/META.yml to modperl-2.0/META.yml but it becomes
>   > more and more error-prone.
>
>   > Any plans for supporting META rules in sub-dirs as well? So each level
>   > will only need to govern its vicinity and sub-dirs of their sub-dirs, etc.
>
> No. I'd argue that such a cascading must be an internal matter for any
> distribution. The META.yml file was invented to have a single file
> with metadata about a given distribution.

As you can see this doesn't work well with bundling. But if this can't be
changed, we will do it the hard way, duplicating the data on several levels.