Posted to marketing@cloudstack.apache.org by Geoff Higginbottom <ge...@shapeblue.com> on 2013/07/25 19:21:15 UTC

CloudStack Press Article

All,

I am working on the press article for http://www.admin-magazin.de/ and following a submission of a first draft ( 17,000 characters) the journalist has come back asking if I could provide more examples of where CloudStack is better than OpenStack, or what are the features unique to CloudStack etc.

Now I'm first to admit I'm not an OpenStack expert, so if there are any more knowledgeable people out there could you please highlight some areas where CloudStack excels.

In addition they want a brief list of the top features of CloudStack for a 'call out box' etc.  As there are many great features, I am again happy to take suggestions.

Before anyone asks, I do not want to share the full text I have written so far, as that would just result in 100 editors helpfully trying to 'improve' it, I hope you all understand.  I can confirm however that I have put a very positive aspect on how excellent CloudStack is, and once the magazine editors have approved the text I will share on this list.

Regards

Geoff Higginbottom
CTO / Cloud Architect

D: +44 20 3603 0542<tel:+442036030542> | S: +44 20 3603 0540<tel:+442036030540> | M: +447968161581<tel:+447968161581>

geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com<ma...@shapeblue.com> | www.shapeblue.com | Twitter:@shapeblue<https://twitter.com/#!/shapeblue>

10/11 July, Bangalore, India<http://www.shapeblue.com/cloudstack-bootcamp-training-course/>
21/22 August, London<http://www.shapeblue.com/cloudstack-bootcamp-training-course/>

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

RE: CloudStack Press Article

Posted by Geoff Higginbottom <ge...@shapeblue.com>.
PL

Many thanks

Regards

Geoff Higginbottom

geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.
Just to add to Peirre's list,

Main pain point for OpenStack, is you need a team of developers to make it work.

There are companies formed around this issue, due to complexity involved of getting OpenStack to function in production.

Other issue as told by other folks who are affiliated with OpenStack project:
OpenStack suffers from collaboration issue - since most of the companies that develop OS are in competing space.
There is no official upgrade path from version X to version Y.
Comprises of many different coupled components that depend on specific version of other components to function - that's very painful.
Enterprises in general will find it costly to run OS in house - due to number of devops folks dedicated to setup and ongoing maintenance or pay OS consulting firm.

Regards
ilya

Posted by Marco Sinhoreli <ms...@gmail.com>.
- More hardware LB support
- Polished web interface
- More advanced networking options (like VPC, ingress sec groups, STT
protocol)
- HA for Virtual Machines
- Attach a ISO image
- OpenStack needs 4 hours to install and 4 days to have it running
- No exotic dependences

Marco Sinhoreli

Re: CloudStack Press Article

Posted by Pierre-Luc Bisaillon <pb...@cloudops.com>.
Hey Geoff,

Posted by Geoff Higginbottom <ge...@shapeblue.com>.
Cheers Giles

Regards

Geoff Higginbottom

geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com

Vastly more scalable ( and proven to be so)

Production ready "product" as opposed to a set of projects

Aws Api fidelity

A proven governance model  that encourages shared contribution as opposed to vendor " take and keep"

Kind Regards
Giles

D: +44 20 3603 0541<tel:+44%2020%203603%200541> | M: +44 796 111 2055<tel:+44%20796%20111%202055> Giles.Sirett@shapeblue.com<ma...@shapeblue.com>

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
On 25.07.2013 18:21, Geoff Higginbottom wrote:
> Now I'm first to admit I'm not an OpenStack expert, so if there are
> any more knowledgeable people out there could you please highlight
> some areas where CloudStack excels.
>
> In addition they want a brief list of the top features of CloudStack
> for a 'call out box' etc.  As there are many great features, I am
> again happy to take suggestions.

Hi Geoff,

Not an expert on any of the Stacks, but from the little experience I
have the selling points of Cloudstack for me are:

1 - it is a Cloud platform, as well as a VPS platform - Openstack is a
pure-blooded cloud platform targeted more at the power users and
developers, whereas with Cloudstack one can also run old-school VPSes[1]
where the user can (re)set a root password, schedule automated backups
(snapshots), download the vHDD of it's VM and so on.

2 - Cloudstack seems more flexible integrating with existing data
centre infrastrucure, easier to add into existing network, with random
vlan setups and so on. In this regard Cloudstack also gets closer to
"virtual data centre" software such as VCentre or oVirt.

I'm sure the above can be achieved on Openstack as well, but not as
easily and certainly not from their UI.

My 2 humble pence. :)

Lucian

[1] - where Cloud = api enabled and controlled, elastic way of mass
setting up and managing virtual machines and
VPS = the traditional paradigm of running a dedicated server and its
additional services (backups etc) but in a virtual way. Hope this makes
sense.

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Re: CloudStack Press Article

Posted by Marco Sinhoreli <ms...@gmail.com>.
Geoff:

If you can, I could translate the article to portuguese and send it to a
news media here in Brazil.

Thanks,

--
Marco Sinhoreli