Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Utkarsh Dave <ut...@gmail.com> on 2016/02/19 13:05:25 UTC

Enabling SSLv2 on Tomcat 7 !

I upgraded my tomcat from 7.0.53 ( that was having SSL protocols enable) to
7.0.67 (that has by default SSL protocols disable).

To re enable support for SSLv3 and SSLv2, i modified the server.xml inside
$TOMCAT_HOME/conf to replace sslProtocol="TLS" with
sslEnabledProtocols="SSLv2,SSLv3,TLSv1"

I can test the SSLv3 requests successfully now , but SSLv2 requests still
fails.
They were processing through success before the upgrade of Tomcat.

I am using the JDK1.6 and Redhat platform and openssl version 0.9.8h.

Please let me know if i can enable SSLv2 on the newer Tomcat.

-Thanks
Utkarsh

Re: Enabling SSLv2 on Tomcat 7 !

Posted by Aurélien Terrestris <at...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

there are many reasons not to use SSLv2 and this is why JDK6 doesn't
support it. If you're really talking about SSLv2 and not SSLv2
Client-Hello, so you need to use the IBM JSSE implementation. But, I am
unsure that you need this.

best regards

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Utkarsh,

On 2/21/16 11:02 AM, Utkarsh Dave wrote:
> Thanks Chris for the response.
> Yes, I meant SSLv2Hello. I understand the vulnerabilities in SSL. Though
> some of the client need that flexibility in older versions, so was digging
> the reason it was working in prior version of Tomcat.
> Can you help me in identifying any change in Tomcat due to which SSLv2Hello
> handshake started failing in newer versions of tomcat

Tomcat needs no other configuration than to specify SSLv2Hello as one of
the protocols to support.

-chris

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.