Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Richa Khandelwal <ri...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/08 20:15:31 UTC

Profiling Map/Reduce Tasks

Hi,
Does Map/Reduce profiles jobs down to milliseconds. From what I can see in
the logs, there is no time specified for the job. Although CPU TIME is an
information that should be present in the logs, it was not profiled and the
response time can only be noted in down to seconds from the runtime progress
of the jobs.

Does someone know how to efficiently profile map reduce jobs?

Thanks,
Richa Khandelwal

University Of California,
Santa Cruz.
Ph:425-241-7763

Re: Profiling Map/Reduce Tasks

Posted by Chris Douglas <ch...@yahoo-inc.com>.
I use YourKit (http://yourkit.com/).

You'll also want to look at the following parameters:

   mapred.task.profile.params (e.g. -
agentlib:yjpagent=sampling=onexit=snapshot,dir=%s)
   mapred.task.profile  (true)
   mapred.task.profile.reduces (0-2 (or whatever))
   mapred.task.profile.maps (0-2)

By default, YK filters org.apache.*, so be sure to disable that. It's
simplest to profile individual tasks in psudo-distributed mode, though
clearly that has its drawbacks. -C

Posted by Rasit OZDAS <ra...@gmail.com>.

--
M. Raşit ÖZDAŞ