Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by "Tetreault, Lucas" <te...@amazon.com.INVALID> on 2022/05/06 06:26:09 UTC

[VOTE] Terminology to replace master/slave in ActiveMQ

Hey folks,

I don’t know if I’m actually allowed to call for a vote given I’m not a committer/PMC member but Michael André Pearce made it clear on Slack that this was the only way to move this discussion forward and come to a final conclusion on the issue so here goes nothing. If I’m not supposed to call for a vote, perhaps someone could “sponsor” this request :)

A tweet [1] from a few days ago raised the issue of non-inclusive terminology in the AWS docs related to ActiveMQ [2] and suggested that we should replace “masterslave” with a more inclusive name for the network connector transport. Replacing master/slave nomenclature in ActiveMQ was raised as a Jira issue in July 2020 [3] and again on the mailing list in November 2020 [7]. There was some initial work to rename the git branch from master to main, some attempts at making some changes to the code (https://github.com/apache/activemq/pull/679, https://github.com/apache/activemq/pull/714, https://github.com/apache/activemq/pull/788) and Matt Pavlovich drafted a thorough proposal on the mailing list [6], however we have not been able to come to an agreement on nomenclature so these efforts seem to have stalled out.

If we are able to come to an agreement on nomenclature, we can move forward with removing more non-inclusive terminology on the website (I will follow up with some PRs to the website), in discussions with the community and of course in the codebase. This will remove barriers to adoption and make ActiveMQ a more approachable and inclusive project for everyone! Other Apache projects such as Solr and Kafka have moved from master/slave to leader/follower. Leader/follower is also recommended by the IETF [4] and inclusivenaming.org [5] which is supported by companies such as Cisco, Intel, and RedHat. At AWS, we have used active/standby to describe HA deployments, however from previous discussions it's clear that active/standby is not a viable option for this community since 'active' can be used to describe so many things. If we can agree on leader/follower or some alternate we would follow the community's preference and adopt leader/follower to better serve our ActiveMQ users.

From all the previous discussions, I believe we have two options to replace master/slave. Artemis will need to layer on a status (e.g.: active/standby) but I think we can move forward on this vote without deciding what those terms should be assuming people agree these options will support having a status layered on top.

Please submit your +1/-1 vote on the following terms and please provide specific comments/alternatives if you’re -1 for both options.

[ ] Leader/Follower

[ ] Primary/Backup

[1] https://twitter.com/owenblacker/status/1517156221207212032

[2] https://docs.aws.amazon.com/amazon-mq/latest/developer-guide/amazon-mq-creating-configuring-network-of-brokers.html#creating-configuring-network-of-brokers-configure-network-connectors

[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMQ-7514

[4] https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-knodel-terminology-02.html

[5] https://inclusivenaming.org/word-lists/tier-1/
[6] https://lists.apache.org/thread/rcwogpchjo9p461hqoj6m89q9t2qpqjj
[7] https://lists.apache.org/thread/5ntnrbz1l92xbvno0s2jxhhf7nbs8d9c

Lucas Tétreault
Software Development Manager, Amazon MQ
email: tetlucas@amazon.com<ma...@amazon.com>

Re: [VOTE] Terminology to replace master/slave in ActiveMQ

Posted by Iliya Grushevskiy <il...@gmail.com>.
+1 for active/passive - very often is used in conversation

Regards
Iliya Grushevskiy

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Yup, it's already what we discussed together for ActiveMQ (5.x):
active/passive is the most accurate to me.

+1

Thanks for helping there !

Regards
JB

Posted by Étienne Hossack <ac...@hossack.me>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Posted by Michael André Pearce <mi...@me.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com>.
I'd be ok with Active/Standby specifically for 5.x, but not sure if it
works for Artemis or not without thinking about it more so I'd want to hear
from people with more Artemis experience.

I am starting to think more and more that to be the most accurate we may
need different terms for each broker but the obvious downside would be
confusion with more than one set of terms.

I personally would be ok with a couple different options as I don't know
that there is a perfect choice. Mostly I just think we need to pick
*something* as this conversation has gone on for a long time and it's just
time to choose and move on.

Posted by Arthur Naseef <ar...@amlinv.com>.
My 2 cents...

For AMQ 5: Active / Passive or Active / Standby makes sense for H/A.  NOB
it does not apply - each "node" (H/A pair in case every broker is running
in H/A) has active/passive pairs.  So yes, a NOB could have a bunch of
brokers all in Active state if none of the nodes is running H/A.  NOB is
never H/A.

For Artemis, since there is a designated Primary broker (the Secondary
broker cannot become active until after the Primary starts and is Active),
then it seems two sets of terms apply.  Active/Passive for the actual
runtime state, and Primary/Secondary for the assigned role.  Live/Backup
feels like it mixes the two - Live feels like runtime state.  Backup feels
like assigned role.

Art

Posted by Matt Pavlovich <ma...@gmail.com>.
+1 Chris and Justin rationale. I agree with having an agreed upon set of noun and adjective pairs for the project that the brokers can adopt accordingly.

Regarding the url term usage in ActiveMQ 5.x— that instance of the terminology usage is being corrected in an open PR, and can safely be disregarded as a use case for this convo.

Thanks,
Matt Pavlovich

Posted by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com>.
Justin,

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matt Pavlovich <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Xeno Amess <xe...@gmail.com>.
because that is actually what master/slave evolate, when in a new era.

Xeno Amess <xe...@gmail.com> 于2022年5月6日周五 20:33写道:

Posted by Xeno Amess <xe...@gmail.com>.
+1 for capitalist/worker

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1 for Primary/Backup with my reasoning below.

First, it's pretty clear like "leader/follower" is a no go based on the
feedback so far so we can throw that out.

For HA, there are slightly different use cases here depending on the broker
and mode chosen with how HA works which is probably why there is some
disagreement.

I believe Artemis has two different modes where it can do live/back up
servers and also can do replication so that's really two slightly different
things to me so we either need different terms between the modes or try and
pick something to cover both (the simpler and preferred option to me).
Primary/Backup makes sense to me for the first HA option. For the second
one where data is replicated live I would think Primary/Replica makes sense
as well. However, to simplify things and use the same term to cover both
then I'd go with Primary/Backup.

For 5.x Primary/Backup (or Active/Passive) works fine to describe how it
works but I'd go with Primary/Backup to be consistent.

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
On 5/6/22 02:26, Tetreault, Lucas wrote:
> [ ] Primary/Backup

[+1] Primary/Backup

--
Tim Bish

Re: [VOTE] Terminology to replace master/slave in ActiveMQ

Posted by Havret <h4...@gmail.com>.
[+1] Leader/Follower
[-1] Primary/Backup - it doesn't sound right to me, as it doesn't imply
that there might be a role switch.

Krzysztof

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
I'd be +1 on active/passive as well.