Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Esteban Bolanos <eb...@datatec-ec.com> on 2004/11/16 17:25:03 UTC

Graph of trunk and branches

Hello,

	I'm wondering if anybody here is familiar with the Graph feature of the
WinCVS client. It allows one to inspect visually the many branches a project
may have and the relationships among them and with the trunk.

	Is there a similar tool for SVN?

Thank you,
Esteban.
---

Re: Graph of trunk and branches

Posted by Hiroharu Tamaru <ta...@myn.rcast.u-tokyo.ac.jp>.
At Tue, 16 Nov 2004 13:37:31 -0500, Esteban Bolanos wrote:
> 	I'm replying to myself here, since other people might be interested: it
> seems that this process would be very expensive to perform in the current
> implementation of SVN, as a side effect of the efficient, constant-time
> creation of branches and tags.

Yes.  As a wish, it would be nice if log (and others) can
tell me when and to where a file is copied to, now that the
log can tell me (and trace back the history of) where and
when the file was copied from.  That is, at present, when a
copy is performed, the destination knows the source, but the
source doesn't know the destination. (am I right?)

When this and the true rename is done, tag/branch tracking
should be as good as I could imagine..(modulo the merge
support?)

But that is just a future feature wish.  I'm quite content
at the moment with the present (evolving :-) ) subversion.
--
Hiroharu Tamaru

RE: Graph of trunk and branches

Posted by Esteban Bolanos <eb...@datatec-ec.com>.
Hello,

	I'm replying to myself here, since other people might be interested: it
seems that this process would be very expensive to perform in the current
implementation of SVN, as a side effect of the efficient, constant-time
creation of branches and tags.

	A one-year old post regarding this, by Ben Collins-Sussman:

http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=users&msgId=290054

	The same issue mentioned more recently on the TortoiseSVN list:

http://svn.haxx.se/tsvn/archive-2004-08/0392.shtml

Greetings,
Esteban.

---