Posted to dev@daffodil.apache.org by Steve Lawrence <sl...@apache.org> on 2018/01/18 18:57:58 UTC

External daffodil plugins on the Apache website?

Dave & John,

We're updating the daffodil website to include helpful information for
users about how to quickly get started with Daffodil. One of the things
we'd like to mention is various integrations of Daffodil into other
solutions. For example, before incubation we had created plugins for
Apache NiFi, Apache Spark, and XML Calabash to use Daffodil. These
plugins are currently hosted on external sites (we're thinking about
moving them to github) because they aren't strictly Daffodil--they just
happen to use the Daffodil API. We would also want to mention
DFDLSchemas, which is a github project to consolidate DFDL schemas
authored by different organizations. We also have an OpenDFDL project on
github that includes examples and a template repo on how to use the
Daffodil API.

These projects do not go through the same review/visibility/release
process that Daffodil goes through and ASF requires, so I'm curious how
they should be handled. Is it okay to have them in non-ASF repos and
then reference them from the Daffodil website? If so, can the website
information contain details (e.g. build/configuration/usage
instructions, screenshots) or should we just have a short blurb and
reference the external repo which would contain all that information in
the repo README/wiki?

Or should these all be incorporated into the Daffodil repo somehow? Or
perhaps the repos could be moved to Apache and become part of the
Daffodil incubation, following the same process that Daffodil follows?
We wouldn't do this for DFDLSchemas, but it might make sense for the
integrations?

We don't want to make it look like these other projects are affiliated
with ASF incubation when they aren't, but they are important uses of
Daffodil that might help to build the Daffodil userbase that we want to
highlight.

- Steve

Re: External daffodil plugins on the Apache website?

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Hi Steve,

I wouldn't include any direct download links on the daffodil website for
these extensions.  I think its fine though to link to their webpages from
the daffodil webpage.  I wouldn't include any information about how to run,
build or use those plugins though on the daffodil webpage, unless you plan
to bring them into the daffodil project at Apache.

John