Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by David Fox <da...@davidjfox.com> on 2011/10/15 05:49:23 UTC

When to normalize data

Hey guys,

I have a database containing thousands of documents fairly large in
size. These documents contain something similar to an access key inside
them, so users can control who can view their "documents", how many
times, etc...

Besides these access keys, which get updated very often, the rest of the
document is relatively static.

Would this be a case where it would make sense to normalize my document
and store these access keys separately? Are there any general guidelines
determining when it makes sense to normalize?

-David

Re: When to normalize data

Posted by Mark Hahn <ma...@boutiquing.com>.
> Are there any general guidelines determining when it makes sense to
normalize?

Not really.  It depends on how big the docs are and how often your keys are
updated.  My personal approach is to code it whichever way is easiest and
then hope it works well.  It is rare that I have to go back and change it.

If you abstract your code properly, and with some luck, it could be easy to
change the schema even after it has been running a while.

Re: When to normalize data

Posted by David Fox <da...@davidjfox.com>.
Looks like they a have a lengthy preview of the book online too. I'll
check it out, thanks!

Re: When to normalize data

Posted by Luciano Ramalho <lu...@ramalho.org>.

--
Luciano Ramalho
Twitter: @luciano

Re: When to normalize data

Posted by David Fox <da...@davidjfox.com>.
Thanks for the link. Had some good advice along with some very helpful
links to their conferences too.

Re: When to normalize data

Posted by Roger Rohrbach <ro...@ecstatic.com>.