Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by T Master <tm...@iknowledge.com> on 2002/02/28 21:47:51 UTC

Log4j 1.2 and JBoss. backward compatibilty problem

Ceki,

Category.getChainedPriority()  has been removed in log4jv1.2 beta2 (i also
checked the javadocs online).
It has been replaced by  public Level  getChainedLevel();

I believe that as the Priority class is used as a superclass for Level, then the
method getChainedPriority() should remain, to preserver backward compatibility.

This is what the problem was with building JBoss using the log4j v1.2beta 2
jar - what caused the compile error.

I've looked in the history, and there is no mention of the method being removed.

Am I in error?

Regards,

T Master

Re: Log4j 1.2 and JBoss. backward compatibility problem

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
T Master,

I removed the getChainedLevel method altogether and added
back the getChainedPriority method.  The getChainedPriority
method is marked as a deprecated with getEffectiveLevel method
as replacement.

The documentation refers to the effective level of a category so
the code is now better aligned with the documentation.

Thanks for pointing this out. Regards, Ceki

ps: Changes will be available in beta5.

At 13:47 28.02.2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Ceki,
>
>Category.getChainedPriority()  has been removed in log4jv1.2 beta2 (i also
>checked the javadocs online).
>It has been replaced by  public Level  getChainedLevel()+ADs-
>
>I believe that as the Priority class is used as a superclass for Level,
>then the
>method getChainedPriority() should remain, to preserver backward
>compatibility.
>
>This is what the problem was with building JBoss using the log4j v1.2beta 2
>jar - what caused the compile error.
>
>I've looked in the history, and there is no mention of the method being
>removed.
>
>Am I in error?
>

>Regards,
>
>T Master