Posted to user@poi.apache.org by architha <me...@yahoo.com> on 2010/03/07 23:01:34 UTC

hwpf : how to get paragraph shading color?

The class org.apache.poi.hwpf.usermodel.ShadingDescriptor has fields for
_icoFore and _icoBack. But when I inspect this class for a Paragraph that has a
shading color, the only values populated in this class are _info and _info2. How
do I get the shading color from _info and/or _info2

Re: hwpf : how to get paragraph shading color?

Posted by MSB <ma...@tiscali.co.uk>.
Sorry to say this but I have no idea and I do not know if anyone else
associated with the project does since Ryan was compelled to discontinue
work on the api. Your best chance of finding an answer to your question
would be to read through the Word file format specification and see how the
values in this field link to or relate to other information stored in the
file. The file format document can be found on this site;
http://www.wotsit.org/ but I will warn you that it is not a light read.
Neither is it, in my opinion, 100% accurate or complete; for example, I have
been looking at the source for another Word binary file parser and found
that there is more than one parser required. This tool checks the FIB number
and returns one of five - I think it's five but do not have the source on
hand to check currently - different parsers depending upon the value this
field is set to. The differences between the different file types is not
highlighted in Microsoft's document if I remember correctly.

Finally, if you do intend to conduct this sort of work, could I ask that you
contribute any improvements you make to the project? HWPF is very much in
need of development and it would be wonderful if you would consider taking
on some of this burden. If you are willing to consider this, please visit
this page of the POI website; http://poi.apache.org/hwpf/index.html.

Yours

Mark B