Posted to users@buildr.apache.org by Michael Maier <mi...@vivai.de> on 2009/09/10 23:53:11 UTC

Using buildr after upgrading to snow leopard Mac OS 10.6

Hi buildr-people,

maybe this information will help all people who used buildr with ruby
until they updated the Mac OS X to snow leopard. After the update java
1.5 is gone and you can only use java 1.6. And then the trouble
begins. But we are all men! First of all, I got strange ruby errors
like:

Buildr aborted!
uninitialized constant REXML::ParseException

Very strange, since it worked before the update and
REXML::ParseException exists. So why thinks ruby there is no
REXML::ParseException? I have no idea and time to search for reasons
why ruby have a problem with REXML::ParseException. Google have no
answers, too. The only hint that I found was the error was cause by
the xmpp4r gem. Disabling it, new errors come to light:

Buildr aborted!
can't create Java VM
/Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/buildr-1.3.4/lib/buildr/core/
application.rb:405:in `raw_load_buildfile'

Mmm...ok...I tried a few installation of rjb gem with severals
configurations but no chance to get buildr running. Always "can't
create Java VM". The solution is to use jruby. After installation
jruby (1.2.0) and the gems

jruby -S gem install buildr
jruby -S gem install xmpp4r

I was able to run the current project! Yeah! Although buildr is ruby
it runs better with java.

We like buildr very much! I hope the developers of buildr will remove
rjb or get it running on Mac with 10.6. To call jetty I use system
because with rjb it didn't work properly.

best regards

Michael

Re: Using buildr after upgrading to snow leopard Mac OS 10.6

Posted by Michael Maier <mi...@vivai.de>.
After installing the current version of http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/buildr/trunk
  buildr works with ruby again...

Am 11.09.2009 um 09:56 schrieb Michael Maier:

> Yes, I saw it...but I was not able to compile it...maybe my ruby
> installation was broken at this time (after several installations and
> experimentations) It was too late, too. I will try it later...

cheers

Micha

Re: Using buildr after upgrading to snow leopard Mac OS 10.6

Posted by Michael Maier <mi...@vivai.de>.
Am 11.09.2009 um 02:51 schrieb Assaf Arkin:

> Trunk already updated to 1.1.9.
>
> Assaf

Yes, I saw it...but I was not able to compile it...maybe my ruby
installation was broken at this time (after several installations and
experimentations) It was too late, too. I will try it later...

Thanks for your postings

Posted by Assaf Arkin <as...@labnotes.org>.

Posted by Levin Alexander <le...@gmail.com>.