Posted to user@shiro.apache.org by Sean Blaes <se...@hifiit.com> on 2012/08/06 23:28:52 UTC

REST based token auth approach

I've been doing a ton of research on this and just want to validate the best approach before I move forward...

My requirement is that I do token based authentication for a REST/Jersey service that is also integrated with Spring. This means that there is an "authenticate" service to which the username/password will be posted, which will respond with a string token. That token can be whatever I want. All other method request will pass the token in an HTTP header. This is the requirement because we support several existing clients and cannot expect them to change at our whim, and this is how the current service works that is using a home-grown auth framework.

I'm looking at disabling session creation, as described at:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SHIRO/Session+Management#SessionManagement-StatelessApplications%28Sessionless%29

Specifically with

/rest/** = noSessionCreation, anon

The question then is how do I best store and retrieve the fact that the user with a given token has been authenticated? Should I just store it in ehcache and and retrieve it with a "remember me manager" upon each request? Or, do I need to implement a secondary realm that logs in by the stored auth token rather than the user/password. Lastly, I could keep sessions enabled but I really don't need anything from the session other than this token, I don't think.

--
Sean Blaes

Re: REST based token auth approach

Posted by Sean Blaes <se...@hifiit.com>.
I think that the token bearer approach that Les was suggesting is one where a token is provided and is used for authentication each and every time. It's more or less the common approach where an API key is provided to consumers. They use that key or token the first time and every time. So, I think the only real difference is in my approach you authenticate then get a token which expires after a period if unused, whereas in Les' approach the token is provided once and used from that point forward, it never expires. In general though, they're not all that much different. The advantage with my approach for my environment is that I'm using the existing authentication/authorization infrastructure we have in place. That makes sense because this is being used by an iOS application that end users will log into, so the credentials are not actually from app to app but rather from end user to application, and I'm just passing through their provided username and password. This way, I don't have to manage a whole different credential store and the credentials provided only give that user access to those resources they should have access to.

In my case, what I'm doing is exactly the same as normal web sessions using a JSESSIONID as you suggested. I'm providing an authentication "service" which provides them an authentication token, which they use from that point forward. I will be persisting this token (and nothing else) using Terracotta/EhCache, which we already have in our infrastructure and as such, is very convenient. It will take care of the distribution/replication for us. Also, a difference my approach is that I'm using a custom header parameter, not a cookie, to pass the authentication token. Again, this is because it's the way our legacy services work, and I'm not sure I would condone that for green-field development. I just want to avoid forcing my downstream clients that have already coded to that legacy interface to change their code.

So, what I've done so far is implement a custom AuthTokenSessionManager extending DefaultWebSessionManager, and have overridden the getSessionId method to pull the session id from a header parameter. Then, I've created a custom RestPassThruAuthTokenFilter that extends PassThruAuthToken filter such that it will allow calls to /authenticate to pass through, but all other calls will be rejected with a 403 if there is no existing authenticated subject.

--
Sean Blaes

 <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SHIRO/Session+Management#SessionManagement-StatelessApplications%28Sessionless%29> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SHIRO/Session+Management#SessionManagement-StatelessApplications%28Sessionless%29

Posted by Sean Blaes <se...@hifiit.com>.

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sean Blaes <se...@hifiit.com>.

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marcus Bond <ma...@marcusbond.me.uk>.
Hi Sean,

I would suggest applying a custom filter on the “login” url that can check the request, login and return a token in the response.

Other urls would be secured with another filter (or the same one if you want to make it aware of your login mechanism) that checks for the token, that much you know already.

Whether or not to use a session depends upon whether you wish to authenticate on every request vs. maintaining a logged in session.. since the subject has logged in and received a token it seems almost pointless to not maintain a session (regardless of where you store it) since you will want it to expire (session timeout) and you can use Shiro for this aspect even if nothing else goes into it, thus separate authentication with the token becomes redundant.

As for the noSessionCreation filter, I only use this when authenticating on EVERY request, however as suggested above a token could reference an authenticated session so you wouldn’t use it.

Regards,

Marcus