Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Sam Ruby <ru...@us.ibm.com> on 2001/03/07 17:04:00 UTC

Jakarta PMC election results

Preface:

   Before Pier calls me an ass again... ;-)

   I would like to point out that despite being the chair to the PMC, I
   have never had the opportunity to actually observe an election of a PMC
   member.  My election to the PMC was done in private as had all others
   before me, and no members have been elected since.

   I can only go on the written word of the bylaws and the advice I hear
   from people who understand the background behind these bylaws.  As Pier
   clearly was there at the time, I respect his opinion.  I interpret his
   words to essentially mean that null PMC votes "[]" are intended to
   reduce the size of the pool when assessing a 3/4's majority, and "[+0]"
   votes are essentially to be interpreted as "While I don't know this
   person enough to make an assessment, I'm willing to vote positively for
   this person based on other people's recommendation".

   I am quite prepared to hear challenges on my interpretations above.  And
   slurs against my character.  ;-)

PMC member voting results:

   Peter Donald:          five +1's, one +0, one -1.    Passes.
   Diane Holt:       six +1's.                Passes. Beyond challenge.
   Ted Husted:       five +1's, one +0.  Passes.
   Ceki Gülcü:       seven +1's.              Passes. Beyond challange.
   Geir Magnusson Jr.:    four +1's, two +0's.     Passes.
   Daniel F. Savarese:    four +1's, two +0's.     Passes.
   Jason van Zyl:         four +1's, two +0's.     Passes.

Other voting results:

   Peter Donald:          +6
   Diane Holt:       +2
   Ted Husted:       +6
   Ceki Gülcü:       +7
   Geir Magnusson Jr.:    +4
   Daniel F. Savarese:    +3
   Jason van Zyl:         +5
   Costin Manolache:      +1

   Additionally, concerns were raised as to the closed nature of the
   nomination process, and the perceived exclusion of those people working
   on the Jakarta Tomcat 3.3 release.

I'll wait a day or so to see if any challenges surface before updating the
web site with this information.  Meanwhile, I will begin to post matters
relating to other PMC business to this mailing list, starting with matters
of logistics and content of the next PMC meeting.

- Sam Ruby

Re: Jakarta PMC election results

Posted by Morgan Delagrange <md...@yahoo.com>.
That list is perfect, Jon.  Thanks!

Perhaps the PMC might go as far as to designate point
person(s) for each subproject?  E.g. if nobody from
the PMC is monitoring the dev mailing list for a
particular project, they're not really in the know
despite their karma.  I know that those karma lists
are considerably longer than the people I hear from in
a typical week, which makes me fear that some are not
active participants.

<http://www.apache.org/websrc/viewcvs.cgi/CVSROOT/avail>

<http://www.apache.org/foundation/members-projects.html>

> As you can see, I'm involved with quite a few
> projects. :-) It would be nice
> if others picked up the balls as well. I'm getting
> tired.
>
> -jon

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> general-help@jakarta.apache.org

=====
Morgan Delagrange
Britannica.com

Re: Jakarta PMC election results

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org>.
Morgan Delagrange <md...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Pierpaolo Fumagalli:
>   Jserv, probably Tomcat?
> Craig McClanahan:
>   Jserv, Struts, probably Tomcat?

Jserv is dead, and both of us are working on Tomcat 4.0

    Pier

Re: Jakarta PMC election results

Posted by Morgan Delagrange <md...@yahoo.com>.
Ah, so according to the site the proposed PMC
represents:

  Peter Donald:
    Avalon, Ant
  Diane Holt:
    No listing on Site, don't know her
    work
  Ted Husted:
    Site doesn't list Karma, but I know
    he at least works on Struts
  Ceki G�lc�:
    Log4J
  Geir Magnusson Jr.:
    Velocity
  Daniel F. Savarese:
    Site doesn't list Karma, probably ORO
  Hans Bergsten:
    Site doesn't list Karma, don't know his
    work, probably Tomcat?
  James Duncan Davidson:
    Tomcat, Ant
  Pierpaolo Fumagalli:
    Jserv, probably Tomcat?
  Craig McClanahan:
    Jserv, Struts, probably Tomcat?
  Sam Ruby:
    Site doesn't list Karma, don't know his work
    (other that his Chairmanship, that is :)
  Jon S. Stevens:
    JServ, ECS, Turbine
  Anil Vijendran:
    Tomcat

So if you cross-reference this list against Jakarta
subprojects, you get the following subproject
representation:

  Ant 2
  Avalon 1
  ECS 1
  James 0
  Jetspeed 0
  JMeter 0
  Log4J 1
  ORO 1
  Regexp 0
  Slide 0
  Struts 2
  Taglibs 0
  Tomcat 5
  Turbine 1
  Velocity 1
  Watchdog 1

An improvement, I guess, but still not perfect.  The
Apache board's compliant still seems legitimate, since
we don't really know who's representing what.

Maybe Sam could comment on the roles of the nominees,
since I'm sure he knows what project they work on, and
the site is not specific enough.

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.

Posted by Morgan Delagrange <md...@yahoo.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org>.
Sam Ruby <ru...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

>  Before Pier calls me an ass again... ;-)

Ok, you dodged it this time :)

>  I interpret his
>  words to essentially mean that null PMC votes "[]" are intended to
>  reduce the size of the pool when assessing a 3/4's majority

Was it _that_ hard to understand ? :)

    Pier

Pier P. Fumagalli                              <ma...@betaversion.org>