Posted to user@poi.apache.org by luca finzi contini <lu...@yahoo.it> on 2005/11/16 17:23:33 UTC

XLS reading problem!

Hi all,
i'm using POI 2.5.1 to create and read XLS files.
The xls file lifecycle is:
- creation in my Java app;
- activeSync'ing to a handheld device --> xls gets
converted to Pocket Excel pxl format
- modifying the file on the handheld
- Active syncing back to the PC --> pxl file gets
re-converted to xls Excel 97/2000 format.

Then I try to read the xls with my java app.
I used the code in the example at HSSF:
  FileInputStream inputStream = new
FileInputStream(fileName);
  POIFSFileSystem fs = new POIFSFileSystem(
inputStream );
  HSSFWorkbook wb = new HSSFWorkbook(fs);

I get the following exception:
java.io.IOException: Unable to read entire block; 295
bytes read; expected 512 bytes

	at
org.apache.poi.poifs.storage.RawDataBlock.<init>(RawDataBlock.java:98)

	at
org.apache.poi.poifs.storage.RawDataBlockList.<init>(RawDataBlockList.java:88)

	at
org.apache.poi.poifs.filesystem.POIFSFileSystem.<init>(POIFSFileSystem.java:123)

	at ....

I found that if I open the problematic xls file with
Excel and re-save it, it all works fine.
I cannot do that in production! ;-) I need to parse
the file directly through my app.
Any suggestions will be highly appreciated!
Thank you all in advance!
Luca.

Re: XLS reading problem!

Posted by luca finzi contini <lu...@yahoo.it>.
Leen,
I'm afraid it doesn't work --- I copied the file to an
'import' directory before processing it... I believe
it's something in the POI lib...
Thank you so much for the suggestion!
Luca.

Re: XLS reading problem!

Posted by Leen Toelen <to...@gmail.com>.

Re: XLS reading problem!

Posted by srikrishnudu <s....@berlinatlantic.com>.
Hi Luca,
Could you please tell me if you found the solution for this. Its a long time
which you posted it. Unfortunately I am facing the same problem when using
poi 3.0.1.
Thanks
Krishna