Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Jeremy Beaty <je...@erda.net> on 2005/05/01 04:06:46 UTC

spamd Blowing up

I'm currently running SpamAssassin 3.01 on a linux box running Exim 4.43.  When I upgraded to SA 3.01 I also configured exim to reject messages at data time based on a spam score that was sufficiently high.  Since doing that I have found that every once in a while one of the spamd child processes will start eating up memory, sometimes as high as 200 MB.  I looked in the FAQs and under performance it mentioned that each spamd process could use 20 - 30 MB of memory.  I set the configuration to spawn only 5 child processes, and to kill and start a new child process after 20 scans.  I still have the problem.  When the single process goes to 200 MB the system starts swapping like crazy and system performance goes in the dirt.

Re: spamd Blowing up

Posted by Michael Parker <pa...@pobox.com>.
On Sat, Apr 30, 2005 at 08:06:46PM -0600, Jeremy Beaty wrote:

> >From the release notes for 3.02 and 3.03 I don't believe this has
been addressed as a specific issue, so though I will be upgrading, I
don't think it will fix this problem.  Does anyone know what causes
this and ways to fix it?

3.0.3 fixes an exact problem you describe.  Do you possibley have a
large autowhitelist file?  If so, version < 3.0.3 would sometimes read
the whole thing into memory when upgrading a specific entry (which
happens a lot).

I encourage you to try 3.0.3, it's a minor update that does indeed fix
this problem.

Michael