Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Thiago <th...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/16 14:59:03 UTC

How to update one field without losing the others?

Hi people,

I'm trying to update one field of my solr database, but I update all the
others fields. For example, if I have a record with the following fields id,
name, address and phone and I try to update just id and address, the name
and the phone vanishes. Is there any way to keep those fields in a update
command? I've already searched this and I found this
http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Update-Index-Updating-Specific-Fields-td506165.html
http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Update-Index-Updating-Specific-Fields-td506165.html
and it tells that I can't do this without losing my fields, but it was
posted in 2010. Is this functionality present in solr nowadays?

Thanks to everybody,

Thiago

Re: How to update one field without losing the others?

Posted by Thiago <th...@gmail.com>.
I'm already downloading the document and updating it with all the changes. I
thought it had an easier way to do it.
Thanks for the information, Michael Della Bitta.

Thiago de Sousa Silveira

Re: How to update one field without losing the others?

Posted by Michael Della Bitta <mi...@appinions.com>.
There's no current provision for this. I would suggest downloading the
document, making your changes, and uploading the document again.

Michael Della Bitta

Appinions, Inc. -- Where Influence Isn’t a Game.
http://www.appinions.com

Posted by preetesh dubey <du...@gmail.com>.
Just googled and found that this facility is available in DSE search. I
don't know much about DSE but pasting the link here if someone can
get benefit from it.

http://www.datastax.com/docs/datastax_enterprise2.0/search/dse_search_cluster#updating-individual-fields-in-a-solr-document

--
Thanks & Regards
Preetesh Dubey

Re: How to update one field without losing the others?

Posted by Sami Siren <ss...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 5:03 PM, Kai Gülzau <kg...@novomind.com> wrote:
> I'm currently playing around with a branch 4x Version (https://builds.apache.org/job/Solr-4.x/5/) but I don't get field updates to work.
>
> A simple GET testrequest
> http://localhost:8983/solr/master/update/json?stream.body={"add":{"doc":{"ukey":"08154711","type":"1","nbody":{"set":"mycontent"}}}}
>
> results in
> {
>  "ukey":"08154711",
>  "type":"1",
>  "nbody":"{set=mycontent}"}]
> }
>
> All fields are stored.
> ukey is the unique key :-)
> type is a required field.
> nbody is a solr.TextField.

With the Solr example (4.x), the following seems to work:

URL=http://localhost:8983/solr/update
curl $URL?commit=true -H 'Content-type:application/json' -d '{ "add":
{ "doc": { "id": "id", "title": "test", "price_f": 10 }}}'
curl $URL?commit=true -H 'Content-type:application/json' -d '{ "add":
{ "doc": { "id": "id", "price_f": {"set": 5}}}}'

If you are using solrj then there's a junit test method,
testUpdateField(), that does something similar:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/lucene/dev/trunk/solr/solrj/src/test/org/apache/solr/client/solrj/SolrExampleTests.java?view=markup

--
 Sami Siren

RE: How to update one field without losing the others?

Posted by Kai Gülzau <kg...@novomind.com>.
I'm currently playing around with a branch 4x Version (https://builds.apache.org/job/Solr-4.x/5/) but I don't get field updates to work.

A simple GET testrequest
http://localhost:8983/solr/master/update/json?stream.body={"add":{"doc":{"ukey":"08154711","type":"1","nbody":{"set":"mycontent"}}}}

results in
{
  "ukey":"08154711",
  "type":"1",
  "nbody":"{set=mycontent}"}]
}

All fields are stored.
ukey is the unique key :-)
type is a required field.
nbody is a solr.TextField.

Is there any (wiki/readme) pointer how to test and use these feature correctly?
What are the restrictions?

Regards,

Kai Gülzau

Posted by librarymark <ma...@gmail.com>.
It is a stored field. It is the only one that gets dropped. It is text from a
PDF that is streamed into SOLR.

Re: How to update one field without losing the others?

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>.
Is this a schema in when the text field is actually populated via
<copyField> from other fields?

Or maybe not, but the text field may not have been a stored field. It needs
to be one of the two.

-- Jack Krupansky

Posted by librarymark <ma...@gmail.com>.
I run into the same problem, but a little different. Using SOLR 4.6.0. When I