Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Justin Fagnani-Bell <ju...@fagnani.com> on 2006/07/07 22:29:22 UTC

Getting started again....

Hi,

This is probably my 3rd email on the same subject in the past few
years, and I'm sure you get these all the time, but it seem things
haven't gotten much easier, so please excuse me...

I used Cocoon quite a bit in the 1.x days, and was quite comfortable
with XSP, Actions, Generators, etc... Cocoon's changed a lot since
then, and I can't seem to find a clear starting path with the new
technologies. I'm starting a completely new site/application from
scratch. So I'm looking to start right and with the methods that will
carry forward into Cocoon 2.2/3.0.

At first I'm trying to do some very basic CRUD operations on my
database. Before I would use POJOs for the model, Actions for the
controller, and XSP for the view, all using an abstracted database
access layer (that used JDBC). It all seemed pretty simple and made a
lot of sense to me.

These days XSP is deprecated, Actions might be too, and there's a
plethora of data access frameworks. I know Flow replaces Actions, but
what replaces XSP? XSP is still all over the user documentation and
tutorials. I'm assuming it's some sort of combination of CForms, JX
templates, and maybe Velocity?

There's a ton a samples and obviously many ways to do things, but is
there one set of "sanctioned" components/methods to use when starting
a new Cocoon app?

I guess my biggest question is about views really. I see only two
pages in the docs talking about JX. The flow docs still talk about
possibly using XSP with the JXPath logicsheet. Is XSP still fine to
use since I'm used to it? Is JX the way to go? Is Velocity better
because it's used in other projects? I tend to do some pretty
complicated logic on the view side of things (not messing with the
model or controller side) and like the expressiveness of having all
of Java at my fingertips, so I'm a little wary of a restricted
template for the view.

Also... I've been looking into Spring and Tuscany to help with data
access and exposing web services. Should I try to get started with
Cocoon 2.2?

Thanks a lot for any help
  Justin

Re: Getting started again....

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On 7/7/06, Justin Fagnani-Bell <ju...@fagnani.com> wrote:

> ...There's a ton a samples and obviously many ways to do things, but is
> there one set of "sanctioned" components/methods to use when starting
> a new Cocoon app?...

There's the Bricks demo application, see
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/BricksCms , and also the CHS
(Cocoon-Hibernate-Spring) example at
http://cocoondev.org/main/117/43.html. I haven't tested the latter,
but they both show "modern" ways of using Cocoon.

-Bertrand