Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Stephen Porter <s3...@student.qut.edu.au> on 1999/05/07 12:03:23 UTC

os-windows/4363: Netscape won't recognise server

>Number:         4363
>Category:       os-windows
>Synopsis:       Netscape won't recognise server
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
After first installing apache and trying to run it I got the following error :
C:\progra~1\apache~1\apache\apache.exe: cannot determine local host name
Use the ServerName directive to set it manually

I searched the bugs database and found a couple of questions relating to this
issue and it seemed that if I went into the httpd.conf file and uncommented the
servername and renamed it localhost it should work.

This solved the problem and it appeared to work fine.  But upon opening
netscape (V4.5) and typing in the address I got the message unable to locate
server.  I typed the following address : http://localhost:80/listing4_4.html
where listing4_4.html is an html file located in the htdocs directory.
In the httpd.conf file the port is still set to 80.  If I comment the
servername out apache refuses to run.

Is there something I've missed or not setup properly??