Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Robert P. J. Day" <rp...@crashcourse.ca> on 2011/04/02 11:35:36 UTC

linux users who unload from zip file can't start tomcat

  i just noticed that users on a linux/unix system that unload tomcat7
from the zip file are going to have trouble running it since the bin/
scripts are not marked executable in the zip file.

  if tomcat7 is unloaded from the tar ball, then everything will work
fine since the scripts are executable.  but from the zip file, they
aren't, which means someone who runs "sh bin/startup.sh" will get:

  Cannot find bin/catalina.sh
  This file is needed to run this program

and that's because of this test in startup.sh:

  if [ ! -x "$PRGDIR"/"$EXECUTABLE" ]; then
    echo "Cannot find $PRGDIR/$EXECUTABLE"
    echo "This file is needed to run this program"
    exit 1
  fi

the catalina.sh script is there, of course, it's just not executable
so startup.sh (misleadingly) claims it doesn't exist.

  experienced linux users will probably notice what's going on
immediately, but others might be thoroughly confused.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca

Re: linux users who unload from zip file can't start tomcat

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2011/4/2 Robert P. J. Day <rp...@crashcourse.ca>:

>  i just noticed that users on a linux/unix system that unload tomcat7
> from the zip file are going to have trouble running it since the bin/
> scripts are not marked executable in the zip file.
>
>  if tomcat7 is unloaded from the tar ball, then everything will work
> fine since the scripts are executable.  but from the zip file, they
> aren't, which means someone who runs "sh bin/startup.sh" will get:
>
>  Cannot find bin/catalina.sh
>  This file is needed to run this program
>
> and that's because of this test in startup.sh:
>
>  if [ ! -x "$PRGDIR"/"$EXECUTABLE" ]; then
>    echo "Cannot find $PRGDIR/$EXECUTABLE"
>    echo "This file is needed to run this program"
>    exit 1
>  fi
>
> the catalina.sh script is there, of course, it's just not executable
> so startup.sh (misleadingly) claims it doesn't exist.
>
>  experienced linux users will probably notice what's going on
> immediately, but others might be thoroughly confused.

I amended the message. Will be in 7.0.13,

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

RE: linux users who unload from zip file can't start tomcat

Posted by Jeffrey Janner <Je...@PolyDyne.com>.

Oh, and thanks to Konstantin for fixing the error message.
Yes, it did need better wording (or more detailed checking).

Confidentiality Notice:  This Transmission (including any attachments) may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately reply to the sender or telephone (512) 343-9100 and delete this transmission from your system.

RE: linux users who unload from zip file can't start tomcat

Posted by Jeffrey Janner <Je...@PolyDyne.com>.

Posted by "Robert P. J. Day" <rp...@crashcourse.ca>.
On Mon, 4 Apr 2011, Mark Thomas wrote:

> On 02/04/2011 18:56, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > #2:  the advice is still wrong.  there is a distinct difference
> > between "recommended" and "required".  if you choose to defend what
> > you *imagine* you're reading there, feel free.  i, on the other hand,
> > am criticizing (for good reason) what is *actually* there.
>
> Criticism is fine, but remember that this is a community, rather
> than a typical vendor/client relationship. If there is something
> that you think is wrong, it is at least as much your responsibility
> as anyone else's to fix it. If you think there is a better wording
> then let folks know what it is. A patch (in diff -u format) attached
> to a bugzilla issue is ideal although for small changes just the new
> wording is fine.
>
> If you want/need help building Tomcat to test your change or
> creating a patch just ask here.

  my apologies, i was a bit snarkier than i had to be.  in my defense,
i'm a long-time proofreader and documentation author so i'm
anal-retentive when it comes to precise wording.

  in any event, just to add something to that issue, since it's fairly
important that linux/unix users download the tar archive rather than
the zip archive for the proper executable bit settings, i would
suggest adding a prominent warning like that on the downloads page
itself:

  http://tomcat.apache.org/download-70.cgi

since there doesn't appear to be anything there that warns the user
about that.

rday

Re: linux users who unload from zip file can't start tomcat

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 02/04/2011 18:56, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> #2:  the advice is still wrong.  there is a distinct difference
> between "recommended" and "required".  if you choose to defend what
> you *imagine* you're reading there, feel free.  i, on the other hand,
> am criticizing (for good reason) what is *actually* there.

Criticism is fine, but remember that this is a community, rather than a
typical vendor/client relationship. If there is something that you think
is wrong, it is at least as much your responsibility as anyone else's to
fix it. If you think there is a better wording then let folks know what
it is. A patch (in diff -u format) attached to a bugzilla issue is ideal
although for small changes just the new wording is fine.

If you want/need help building Tomcat to test your change or creating a
patch just ask here.

Mark

Re: linux users who unload from zip file can't start tomcat

Posted by "Robert P. J. Day" <rp...@crashcourse.ca>.

Posted by Pierre Goupil <go...@gmail.com>.
Yes, but the download page says that .tar.gz is recommended for Unix / Linux
and .zip for Windows, IIRC.

On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 12:41 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2 April 2011 10:35, Robert P. J. Day <rp...@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >
> >  i just noticed that users on a linux/unix system that unload tomcat7
> > from the zip file are going to have trouble running it since the bin/
> > scripts are not marked executable in the zip file.
>
> Unfortunately Zip does not support such attributes.
>
> >  if tomcat7 is unloaded from the tar ball, then everything will work
> > fine since the scripts are executable.  but from the zip file, they
> > aren't, which means someone who runs "sh bin/startup.sh" will get:
> >
> >  Cannot find bin/catalina.sh
> >  This file is needed to run this program
> >
> > and that's because of this test in startup.sh:
> >
> >  if [ ! -x "$PRGDIR"/"$EXECUTABLE" ]; then
> >    echo "Cannot find $PRGDIR/$EXECUTABLE"
> >    echo "This file is needed to run this program"
> >    exit 1
> >  fi
> >
> > the catalina.sh script is there, of course, it's just not executable
> > so startup.sh (misleadingly) claims it doesn't exist.
>
>  Agreed, the message is misleading.
>
> >  experienced linux users will probably notice what's going on
> > immediately, but others might be thoroughly confused.
> >
> > rday
> >
> > --

> > Robert P. J. Day                               Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA
> >                        http://crashcourse.ca
> >
> > Twitter:                                       http://twitter.com/rpjday
> > LinkedIn:                               http://ca.linkedin.com/in/rpjday

Sauvez un arbre, mangez un castor !

Re: linux users who unload from zip file can't start tomcat

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.