Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by ivanmarcus <iv...@yahoo.com> on 2018/08/13 02:19:35 UTC

Re: SSH issue with Ubuntu 18.04 - updated detail

Apolgies for the brevity of my previous info - my email system is
somewhat remote from the server instance and copy+paste wasn't working
for some reason... I've now reversed my location; here's some more detail:

Firstly check the required packages for SSH are installed:

dpkg -l | grep -i pango
ii  libpango-1.0-0:amd64 1.40.14-1                         amd64
Layout and rendering of internationalized text

dpkg -l | grep -i openssl
ii  libcurl4:amd64 7.58.0-2ubuntu3.2                 amd64
easy-to-use client-side URL transfer library (OpenSSL flavour)
ii  libxmlsec1-openssl:amd64 1.2.25-1build1
amd64        Openssl engine for the XML security library
ii  openssl 1.1.0g-2ubuntu4.1                 amd64        Secure
Sockets Layer toolkit - cryptographic utility
ii  python3-openssl 17.5.0-1ubuntu1                   all
Python 3 wrapper around the OpenSSL library
ii  python3-service-identity 16.0.0-2
all          Service identity verification for pyOpenSSL (Python 3 module)

dpkg -l | grep -i libssh
ii  libssh2-1:amd64 1.8.0-1                           amd64        SSH2
client-side library

Then run ./configure:

root@ubuntu1804:/home/xxx/guacamole-server-0.9.14# ./configure
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make supports nested variables... yes
checking whether make supports nested variables... (cached) yes
checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking how to print strings... printf
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking whether gcc understands -c and -o together... yes
checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /bin/sed
checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
checking for fgrep... /bin/grep -F
checking for ld used by gcc... /usr/bin/x86_64-linux-gnu-ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/x86_64-linux-gnu-ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking for BSD- or MS-compatible name lister (nm)... /usr/bin/nm -B
checking the name lister (/usr/bin/nm -B) interface... BSD nm
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking the maximum length of command line arguments... 1572864
checking how to convert x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu file names to
x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu format... func_convert_file_noop
checking how to convert x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu file names to toolchain
format... func_convert_file_noop
checking for /usr/bin/x86_64-linux-gnu-ld option to reload object
files... -r
checking for objdump... objdump
checking how to recognize dependent libraries... pass_all
checking for dlltool... no
checking how to associate runtime and link libraries... printf %s\n
checking for ar... ar
checking for archiver @FILE support... @
checking for strip... strip
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output from gcc object... ok
checking for sysroot... no
checking for a working dd... /bin/dd
checking how to truncate binary pipes... /bin/dd bs=4096 count=1
checking for mt... mt
checking if mt is a manifest tool... no
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for dlfcn.h... yes
checking for objdir... .libs
checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... no
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC -DPIC
checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC -DPIC works... yes
checking if gcc static flag -static works... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... (cached) yes
checking whether the gcc linker (/usr/bin/x86_64-linux-gnu-ld -m
elf_x86_64) supports shared libraries... yes
checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... no
checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
checking for shl_load... no
checking for shl_load in -ldld... no
checking for dlopen... no
checking for dlopen in -ldl... yes
checking whether a program can dlopen itself... yes
checking whether a statically linked program can dlopen itself... no
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... (cached) yes
checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89... (cached) none needed
checking whether gcc understands -c and -o together... (cached) yes
checking dependency style of gcc... (cached) gcc3
checking fcntl.h usability... yes
checking fcntl.h presence... yes
checking for fcntl.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
checking for string.h... (cached) yes
checking sys/socket.h usability... yes
checking sys/socket.h presence... yes
checking for sys/socket.h... yes
checking time.h usability... yes
checking time.h presence... yes
checking for time.h... yes
checking sys/time.h usability... yes
checking sys/time.h presence... yes
checking for sys/time.h... yes
checking syslog.h usability... yes
checking syslog.h presence... yes
checking for syslog.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
checking cairo/cairo.h usability... yes
checking cairo/cairo.h presence... yes
checking for cairo/cairo.h... yes
checking pngstruct.h usability... no
checking pngstruct.h presence... no
checking for pngstruct.h... no
checking for cos in -lm... yes
checking for png_write_png in -lpng... yes
checking for jpeg_start_compress in -ljpeg... yes
checking for cairo_create in -lcairo... yes
checking for pthread_create in -lpthread... yes
checking for dlopen in -ldl... (cached) yes
checking for uuid_make in -lossp-uuid... yes
checking ossp/uuid.h usability... yes
checking ossp/uuid.h presence... yes
checking for ossp/uuid.h... yes
checking whether uuid_make is declared... yes
checking for CU_run_test in -lcunit... no
checking for clock_gettime... yes
checking for gettimeofday... yes
checking for memmove... yes
checking for memset... yes
checking for select... yes
checking for strdup... yes
checking for nanosleep... yes
checking whether png_get_io_ptr is declared... yes
checking whether cairo_format_stride_for_width is declared... yes
checking whether poll is declared... yes
checking for size_t... yes
checking for ssize_t... yes
checking for AVCODEC... no
checking for AVUTIL... no
checking for SWSCALE... no
checking openssl/ssl.h usability... no
checking openssl/ssl.h presence... no
checking for openssl/ssl.h... no
checking for SSL_CTX_new in -lssl... no
configure: WARNING:
    Unable to find libssl.
    guacd will not support SSL connections.
checking for main in -lwsock32... no
checking vorbis/vorbisenc.h usability... no
checking vorbis/vorbisenc.h presence... no
checking for vorbis/vorbisenc.h... no
checking for ogg_stream_init in -logg... no
checking for vorbis_block_init in -lvorbis... no
checking for vorbis_encode_init in -lvorbisenc... no
configure: WARNING:
    Unable to find libogg / libvorbis / libvorbisenc.
    Sound will not be encoded with Ogg Vorbis.
checking for pa_context_new in -lpulse... no
configure: WARNING:
    Unable to find libpulse
    Sound support for VNC will be disabled
checking for PANGO... no
checking for PANGOCAIRO... no
checking for rfbInitClient in -lvncclient... no
checking for freerdp_new in -lfreerdp-core... no
checking for freerdp_new in -lfreerdp... no
configure: WARNING:
    Unable to find libfreerdp-core / libfreerdp
    RDP will be disabled.
checking for libssh2_session_init_ex in -lssh2... no
checking for telnet_init in -ltelnet... no
checking webp/encode.h usability... no
checking webp/encode.h presence... no
checking for webp/encode.h... no
checking for WebPEncode in -lwebp... no
configure: WARNING:
    Unable to find libwebp.
    Images will not be encoded using WebP.
checking that generated files are newer than configure... done
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating doc/Doxyfile
config.status: creating tests/Makefile
config.status: creating src/common/Makefile
config.status: creating src/common-ssh/Makefile
config.status: creating src/terminal/Makefile
config.status: creating src/libguac/Makefile
config.status: creating src/guacd/Makefile
config.status: creating src/guacd/man/guacd.8
config.status: creating src/guacd/man/guacd.conf.5
config.status: creating src/guacenc/Makefile
config.status: creating src/guacenc/man/guacenc.1
config.status: creating src/pulse/Makefile
config.status: creating src/protocols/rdp/Makefile
config.status: creating src/protocols/ssh/Makefile
config.status: creating src/protocols/telnet/Makefile
config.status: creating src/protocols/vnc/Makefile
config.status: creating config.h
config.status: config.h is unchanged
config.status: executing libtool commands

guacamole-server version 0.9.14

    Library status:

      freerdp ............. no
      pango ............... no
      libavcodec .......... no
      libavutil ........... no
      libssh2 ............. no
      libssl .............. no
      libswscale .......... no
      libtelnet ........... no
      libVNCServer ........ no
      libvorbis ........... no
      libpulse ............ no
      libwebp ............. no
      wsock32 ............. no

    Protocol support:

       RDP ....... no
       SSH ....... no
       Telnet .... no
       VNC ....... no

    Services / tools:

       guacd ...... yes
       guacenc .... no

    Init scripts: no

Type "make" to compile guacamole-server.

Hopefully that's of some use...

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@glyptodon.org>.
On Sun, Aug 12, 2018 at 7:19 PM, ivanmarcus <iv...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Apolgies for the brevity of my previous info - my email system is somewhat
> remote from the server instance and copy+paste wasn't working for some
> reason... I've now reversed my location; here's some more detail:
>
> Firstly check the required packages for SSH are installed:
>
> dpkg -l | grep -i pango
> ii  libpango-1.0-0:amd64                  1.40.14-1
> amd64        Layout and rendering of internationalized text

To build things against this library from source, such as guacamole-server,
you need the -dev package. See the packages listed in the documentation
covering the build:

http://guacamole.apache.org/doc/gug/installing-guacamole.html

If you have the dev package installed you should see:

dpkg -l | grep -i libpango
ii  libpango-1.0-0:amd64               1.40.14-1
amd64        Layout and rendering of internationalized text
ii  libpango1.0-dev                    1.40.14-1
amd64        Development files for the Pango

dpkg -l | grep -i openssl
> ii  libcurl4:amd64                        7.58.0-2ubuntu3.2
> amd64        easy-to-use client-side URL transfer library (OpenSSL flavour)
> ii  libxmlsec1-openssl:amd64              1.2.25-1build1
> amd64        Openssl engine for the XML security library
> ii  openssl                               1.1.0g-2ubuntu4.1
> amd64        Secure Sockets Layer toolkit - cryptographic utility
> ii  python3-openssl                       17.5.0-1ubuntu1
> all          Python 3 wrapper around the OpenSSL library
> ii  python3-service-identity              16.0.0-2
> all          Service identity verification for pyOpenSSL (Python 3 module)

Same here. The requirement in guacamole-server's case is libssl, the dev
package for which is "libssl-dev".

> dpkg -l | grep -i libssh
> ii  libssh2-1:amd64                       1.8.0-1
> amd64        SSH2 client-side library

Same here. If you have the dev package installed, you should see:

dpkg -l | grep -i libssh
ii  libssh2-1:amd64                1.8.0-1
amd64        SSH2 client-side library
ii  libssh2-1-dev:amd64            1.8.0-1
amd64        SSH2 client-side library (development headers)

- Mike

Re: SSH issue with Ubuntu 18.04 - updated detail

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@glyptodon.org>.
guacd uses the system linker to load any libraries. You do not need to
create additional symlinks for Guacamole to be able to find libraries as
long as the libraries are indeed installed. The only exception to this are
plugins for FreeRDP, as FreeRDP looks in different, specific locations for
its plugins.

Based on the conversation so far, if you are still having issues with the
SSH libraries being found:

* If this is occurring during the build, make sure you have the development
headers installed. The configure tests mainly check for these headers, not
the mere presence of the library. The build cannot use an installed library
without the corresponding headers.
* If this is occurring after the build, and you're sure the build was
successful for the protocols in question, make sure what is installed
matches what you expect you've built. There was some mention earlier of
restoring a backup from a .tar.gz archive. If that backup contained
binaries from an older build of guacamole-server, those binaries may be
linked against different libraries than those actually present on the
system. Running "ldd" on libguac-client-ssh.so (or whichever protocol is
not being found) may help check this.

Overall, you shouldn't need to manually download and install packages for
the guacamole-server build; those packages are definitely in the Ubuntu
repositories. If your package manager is not finding those packages, seek
to determine why, as they are definitely present. All you should need to do
is install the required dependencies via the package manager, install any
desired optional dependencies (again via the package manager), and finally
build guacamole-server just like you would any other source archive. The
process involved (install dependencies, ./configure, make, make install,
ldconfig) is pretty standard across open source projects which are written
in C.

- Mike

On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 11:23 AM, Nate Evans <na...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Mike thank you for your help, I was wondering what symlinks did you
> create? I'm thinking that's my problem, the libraries are there but
> guacamole can't find them.
>
> Thanks.
>
> On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 5:03 PM Mike Jumper <mi...@glyptodon.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 1:58 PM, ivanmarcus <iv...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Sigh, I always seem to find the answer just after sending an email
>>> saying it won't work!
>>>
>>> Just installed libssh2-1-dev (from http://security.ubuntu.com/
>>> ubuntu/pool/universe/libs/libssh2/libssh2-1-dev_1.8.0-1_amd64.deb), and
>>> libpango1.0-dev (native), and it now compiles with ssh/ssh. This is with
>>> some symbolic links in place so whether it'd work without I'm not sure at
>>> this stage.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately I need to do some work right now but if it's useful I'll
>>> have another go with a fresh Ubuntu 18.04 tomorrow, and confirm what's
>>> needed from scratch with locations for downloading required packages as
>>> needed.
>>>
>>> FWIW this is what I obtained externally and installed to date:
>>>
>>> https://www.openssl.org/source/openssl-1.0.2g.tar.gz
>>> http://ftp.br.debian.org/debian/pool/main/h/harfbuzz/
>>> libharfbuzz-dev_1.4.2-1_amd64.deb
>>> http://ftp.br.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/pango1.0/
>>> libpangoft2-1.0-0_1.40.5-1_amd64.deb
>>> http://ftp.br.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/pango1.0/
>>> libpangocairo-1.0-0_1.40.5-1_amd64.deb
>>> http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/o/ossp-
>>> uuid/libossp-uuid16_1.6.2-1.5build4_amd64.deb
>>> http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/o/ossp-
>>> uuid/libossp-uuid-dev_1.6.2-1.5build4_amd64.deb
>>> http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/libs/

Posted by Nate Evans <na...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@glyptodon.org>.
On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 4:40 PM, ivanmarcus <iv...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks Mike, it's not the way I'd normally do it - it was more of a test
> case to see why the Mystic script didn't work.
>
> That said at least one of the required dependencies mentioned in the
> manual wouldn't install from the standard repository, and the same with the
> optional dependencies. The two that come to mind are libpng12-dev and
> libssh2-1-dev, possibly there were a couple more but I don't quite recall
> now.

libssh2-1-dev seems to be there:

https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/libssh2-1-dev

For libpng, Ubuntu 18.04 doesn't seem to package libpng12 any longer, but
guacamole-server should build against newer libpng versions. Ubuntu 18.04
has libpng16, with the dev package being "libpng-dev":

https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/libpng-dev

- Mike

Re: SSH issue with Ubuntu 18.04 - updated detail - Resolved

Posted by ivanmarcus <iv...@yahoo.com>.
To follow on from this.

In looking to see if there was an issue with the local mirror I found
that /etc/apt/sources.list contained just the three main repositories,
none for Universe/Multiverse.

Adding these repositories (per
https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/configuration.html.en) meant
that the requisite dependencies for Guacamole became available per
Nick's findings.

I'm not sure why this happened - I've not used 18.04 much as all my
servers are yet to be upgraded from 16.04, so haven't had much
experience with any foibles it may have - but it's possibly something to
do with the initial base install not having internet access. This is by
design in the network I was running it within (although once installed
and the nic configured etc it does have full access); it's not been an
issue with previous versions of Ubuntu, however 18.04 may treat things
differently.

If I find out anything further I'll update this post, although I expect
for most people installing Guacamole this won't be an issue - if there's
going to be some esoteric problem it's usually only me that has it!

Posted by ivanmarcus <iv...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by brian mullan <bm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 7:53 AM M D Barber <md...@aol.com> wrote:

> does 18.04 not have the same option as 16.04 during the install to set
> different roles for the server? (and thus i assume install a different
> range of packages from the selection)

It does, but this should only impact the packages that get installed and
not the ones that are available after the install is completed.

-Nick

Re: SSH issue with Ubuntu 18.04 - updated detail

Posted by M D Barber <md...@aol.com>.

Nick Couchman wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 1:00 AM ivanmarcus <ivanmarcus@yahoo.com
> <ma...@yahoo.com>> wrote:
>
>     Thanks Nick, I can only assume I must be special then :-)
>
>     apt-get install build-essential autoconf libtool m4 libpng-dev
>     libjpeg-dev libcairo-dev libossp-uuid-dev libtelnet-dev
>     libpango1.0-dev libfreerdp-dev libssh2-1-dev libwebp-dev
>     libvncserver-dev libpulse-dev libvorbis-dev
>     Reading package lists... Done
>     Building dependency tree     �
>     Reading state information... Done
>     Note, selecting 'libcairo2-dev' instead of 'libcairo-dev'
>     Package libssh2-1-dev is not available, but is referred to by
>     another package.
>     This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
>     is only available from another source
>
>     E: Unable to locate package libossp-uuid-dev
>     E: Unable to locate package libtelnet-dev
>     E: Unable to locate package libfreerdp-dev
>     E: Package 'libssh2-1-dev' has no installation candidate
>
>     This is from a bare 18.04 server install, updated/upgraded.�
>

> Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm doing - I'm using 18.04.1, Server
> ISO, and update/upgrade, but we should be getting to the same point.
> Very strange.
>
> -Nick

---

Re: SSH issue with Ubuntu 18.04 - updated detail

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.

Posted by ivanmarcus <iv...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks Nick, I can only assume I must be special then :-)

apt-get install build-essential autoconf libtool m4 libpng-dev
libjpeg-dev libcairo-dev libossp-uuid-dev libtelnet-dev libpango1.0-dev
libfreerdp-dev libssh2-1-dev libwebp-dev libvncserver-dev libpulse-dev
libvorbis-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'libcairo2-dev' instead of 'libcairo-dev'
Package libssh2-1-dev is not available, but is referred to by another
package.
is only available from another source

E: Unable to locate package libossp-uuid-dev
E: Unable to locate package libtelnet-dev
E: Unable to locate package libfreerdp-dev
E: Package 'libssh2-1-dev' has no installation candidate

This is from a bare 18.04 server install, updated/upgraded.

 From a personal perspective it's not a problem, I was merely doing this
in order to [possibly] assist with Nate's issues, and anyone else
installing to 18.04, but it would be interesting to know why it works
for you, but not for me!

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.

Posted by ivanmarcus <iv...@yahoo.com>.
Further to previous detail I resumed my install testing on a brand-new
Ubuntu 18.04 server.

For me the MysticRyuujin script would not work and it failed, unable to
locate a number of packages.

I then proceeded to build the guacamole-server per chapt 2 of the manual
(Installing Guacamole natively)

Several required and optional packages were unavailable and I needed to
get a .deb package elsewhere to install.

The following is the step-by-step process required (note I was building
for ssh only:

apt-get update

apt-get install libcairo2-dev

apt-get install libjpeg-turbo8-dev

wget
http://launchpadlibrarian.net/330752989/libossp-uuid16_1.6.2-1.5build4_amd64.deb

dpkg -i libossp-uuid16_1.6.2-1.5build4_amd64.deb

wget wget
http://launchpadlibrarian.net/330752983/libossp-uuid-dev_1.6.2-1.5build4_amd64.deb

dpkg -i libossp-uuid-dev_1.6.2-1.5build4_amd64.deb

apt-get install libpango1.0-dev

apt-get install libgcrypt20-dev

wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/319154355/libssh2-1_1.8.0-1_amd64.deb

dpkg -i libssh2-1_1.8.0-1_amd64.deb

wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/319154354/libssh2-1-dev_1.8.0-1_amd64.deb

dpkg -i libssh2-1-dev_1.8.0-1_amd64.deb

apt-get install libssl-dev

 From here obtain the guacamole-server source, untar and ./configure.
This appeared to go through ok and reports that the SSH protocol is
available. I've not gone on to compile from here.

I'm not sure if this helps Nate, but hopefully it may be of some use to
others? If nothing else it'll be a useful record for me when I move my
installation of Guacamole from 16.04 (probably when the 1.0 release is out).

Posted by ivanmarcus <iv...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@glyptodon.org>.

Posted by ivanmarcus <iv...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by ivanmarcus <iv...@yahoo.com>.