Posted to dev@devicemap.apache.org by Reza <re...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2014/07/25 20:33:32 UTC

Re: publishing data

So right now nothing planned for release that uses the test-data artifact. Also, this isn't a research project, this is a device classification project and people expect to get a product which runs accurately. So I don't see a need for users to want the test data. Test data should be maintained and used by the project internally to validate the clients are accurate.

The java client maintains its own test data with expected results here:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/devicemap/trunk/devicemap/java/classifier/src/test/resources/

Its better to keep that local to the client because trying to get multiple clients to pass a standard set of tests is treacherous. It leads to things like percentage accuracy across a fixed set, overfitting, over optimization, etc. Therefor its logical to keep the test data local to the client and strive for consistent and accurate results, release after release.

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
It was not officially part of the 1.0.0 tag in /releases, so we could leave
test-data. At the moment there are tests in the Simple DDR library using
them, so if it's a dependency, I could also publish those together like you
did with the "new" client.

It seems good that each component or application that needs either
data,test-data or both can chose from the version they find most
appropriate.