Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/25 21:21:31 UTC

[DBCP] Proposed changes to Ant build file

At present, in order to build DBCP using Ant, one has to copy
build.properties.sample to build.properties otherwise none of the
dependencies are found.

Seems to me the Ant file should load properties from
build.properties.sample immediately after loading from
build.properties - if that exists. Build.properties can then be used
to override the defaults, but is optional.

OK to add build.properties.sample to build.xml?

==

Also, the Ant file currently generates classes under the build/
directory, whereas Maven2 uses the target/ directory. Seems to me it
would be better if both used the target/ directory.

WDYT?

Re: [DBCP] Proposed changes to Ant build file

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
sebb wrote:
> At present, in order to build DBCP using Ant, one has to copy
> build.properties.sample to build.properties otherwise none of the
> dependencies are found.

The build.properties.sample props only work if you have a m2 local
repo.  I would prefer to leave as is so user knows what they are
doing.  The alternative would be to add Ant get-deps to grab from
public repos and dispense with need for local properties.

> Seems to me the Ant file should load properties from
> build.properties.sample immediately after loading from
> build.properties - if that exists. Build.properties can then be used
> to override the defaults, but is optional.
>
> OK to add build.properties.sample to build.xml?
>
> ==
>
> Also, the Ant file currently generates classes under the build/
> directory, whereas Maven2 uses the target/ directory. Seems to me it
> would be better if both used the target/ directory.

Personally, I would prefer to keep them separate as the Ant build
also does source manipulations and I can see scenarios where one
could get confused.

Phil