Posted to dev@plc4x.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2021/05/12 08:19:54 UTC

Cleanup in our repo (and Sandbox)?

Hi all,

I recently had a look at our Sandbox, and I'd like to clean it up a bit.
There's quite some stuff in there, that will probably not be updated
anymore.

I would like to remove the StreamPipes stuff as the StreamPipes folks
are releasing PLC4X connectors. No need for us to do the same. And
beyond that I bet our versions are extremely outdated anyway.

I would like to move the plc4c stuff out of the Sandbox and make it a
top-level thing, just like plc4j and plc4go.

@Julain ... what's the status of your "code-gen"? Will you ever use that
or will you ever make id do anything?

The "hello-influx-data-collection ... could that move to the PLC4j examples?

And as the elastic license is now X-Rated we coudldn't update our
Logstash integration (outside of the sandbox). I would like to remove
that completely.

Last not least I would like to rename the "build-utils" as it's too
closely related to the build-tools and it's difficult to distinguish
what you're talking about. I would like to rename the "build-utils" to
"code-generation".

What do you think?

Chris

Re: Cleanup in our repo (and Sandbox)?

Posted by Lukas Ott <ot...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Googlemail OS <se...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
+1

Posted by Otto Fowler <ot...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Ben Hutcheson <be...@gmail.com>.
+1 for having the examples in a separate repository, as long as there's a
link in the main repository's readme.
+0 for checking in the generated files, changes can kind of get lost, but
it does provide history of any changes.

Posted by Sebastian R��hl <sr...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

FYI: I just pushed the renaming from "build-utils" to "code-generation" as it kept itching me.

Also I would like to throw something into discussion:
1. In camel for examples they have a extra repository for camel-examples. Maybe we should do that to to not have our repo to overblown.
2. We should also cleanup the whole code-generation a bit. What I really like in golang and c for example is that I can see what changes are produced by changes on the code-generation. In java I always feel a bit blind here. I was thinking if we should check this code into vcs too? At least for the test-protocol so we have a good visibility on effects on changes on the code-generation