Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Stamatis Zampetakis <za...@gmail.com> on 2022/10/14 09:04:52 UTC

Consider using bi-directional links in JIRA

Hi all,

This is a small tip/reminder for everyone using JIRA.

It is very common and convenient to refer to other tickets by adding the
HIVE-XXXXX pattern in summary, description, and comments.

The pattern allows someone to navigate quickly to an older JIRA from the
current one but not the other way around.

Ideally, along with the mention (HIVE-XXXXX) pattern, it helps to add an
explicit link (relates to, causes, depends upon, etc.) so that the
relationship between tickets is visible from both ends.

This is extremely useful when we are reporting a regression/breaking change
from a past commit but in other cases as well.

Best,
Stamatis

Re: Consider using bi-directional links in JIRA

Posted by Alessandro Solimando <al...@gmail.com>.
+1 too for bringing up this discussion, navigating through related issues
is very important.

Benchao: in general the most important is to put the link (even just
"relates to" or "duplicates" as Julian said), we can defer more complex
relationships to the description or comments.

Other ones I use (although rarely) are "blocks" and "split from".

For case 1/2/4 I would use "relates", for 3 "split from", but I guess that
there are no precise rules around that.

Best regards,
Alessandro

Posted by Benchao Li <li...@apache.org>.

--

Best,
Benchao Li

Re: Consider using bi-directional links in JIRA

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@gmail.com>.
+1

Fwd: Consider using bi-directional links in JIRA

Posted by Stamatis Zampetakis <za...@gmail.com>.
I added a few sentences about this in JIRA Guidelines [1].

Best,
Stamatis

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/HowToContribute

Posted by Stamatis Zampetakis <za...@gmail.com>.