Posted to soap-dev@xml.apache.org by Glen Daniels <gd...@allaire.com> on 2001/03/21 06:37:48 UTC

Re: [soapbuilders] "default" encoding style

The spec says (sec 4.1.1):

<quote>
The serialization rules defined by SOAP in section 5 are identified by the
URI "http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/". Messages using this
particular serialization SHOULD indicate this using the SOAP encodingStyle
attribute.
</quote>

I read the SHOULD there to mean that it isn't actually required that the
encodingStyle attribute be present to use section 5 encoding, and that much
as types may be inferred solely via an external contract (schema), encoding
may simply be agreed-upon "out of band".

If this in fact is the case, it seems reasonable to let the developer set
the default encoding style via a means like the one I wrote.  Perhaps
defaulting to section 5 encoding isn't a good choice, though - we might be
better off making anyone who wants to use this feature explicitly turn it
on.

Thoughts?

--Glen