Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de> on 2021/11/18 20:51:17 UTC

Apache OpenOffice available in the Microsoft Store on Windows 10

Hi all,

Apache OpenOffice has already been available in the new Microsoft Store
on Windows 11 since October.
With the latest App update, the new store is also coming to Windows 10.

Users can now install the latest OpenOffice version with a single click!

The Store Listings are localized in English, German, Italian, Polish and
Portuguese.
Feel free to contact me if you want to add more languages or if you have
any questions.

Regards,

   Matthias

Re: Apache OpenOffice available in the Microsoft Store on Windows 10

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Peter,

We all know that every person that wants to see how the release process
goes forward can do that *easily*:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.11

Some people are just not interested.
And some even don't read the Release Notes... ;-)

Regards,

   Matthias

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
On 01.12.21 11:35, Jörg Schmidt wrote:

> [...]
Great!
>> Or is the issue more that you weren't
>> included in the process?
> Yes, that's what I mean - more specifically, that I don't understand why there hasn't been a thorough public discussion on such an issue.
>
> (Again, I may be overlooking something, but where is this discussion?)

Okay, all are in favor for publishing Apache OpenOffice on Microsoft
Shop. Everyone has expressed a positive attitude. No one said he had any
issues with it.

So I do not see any worth in that if we had done a discussion. We do not
need to take any action to fix anything.

> Please understand that I am not technically against AOO now being available in the MS store, but I am criticising the fact that we do not communicate enough.
>
> Meritocracy is one thing, but in projects as big as ours, there are things that should not just be done, but should be discussed in advance with everyone involved - a bit of democracy within meritocracy.
>
> (I also don't think that such criticism is unreasonable, because the mere formality that we also have places where "votes" are obligatory shows that there is already democracy within the meritocracy.)

What is with the formal release vote? For me that is total sufficient.
And we documented all voices [1]. I am not able to follow what you want.

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.11

So I finalize:

You have no objections on the Release of Apache OpenOffice on Microsoft
store. And we have the requested democratic Vote. Where everyone can
vote on and is acknowledged.

For me all possible concerns and demands are fulfilled.

--
This is the Way! http://www.apache.org/theapacheway/index.html

RE: Apache OpenOffice available in the Microsoft Store on Windows 10

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.

Jörg

Re: Apache OpenOffice available in the Microsoft Store on Windows 10

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
Am 26.11.21 um 19:04 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:

> [...]

Please focus on the Microsoft Shop. What Issues do you have? Are you
against publishing on the shop? Or is the issue more that you weren't
included in the process?

At least I don't get it. Seriously.

All the best

Peter

RE: Apache OpenOffice available in the Microsoft Store on Windows 10

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.

I think the whole thing is not insignificant and I think it would be appropriate if the PMC had informed about it.

Jörg

Re: Apache OpenOffice available in the Microsoft Store on Windows 10

Posted by David Robley <da...@robley.net.au>.
Perhaps

On 26/11/21 7:51 pm, Jörg Schmidt wrote:
> Why are such announcements made by an individual?
> Why is there no information from the PMC? Why no press release?
> Why was there no discussion in the community?
>
> Or, am I overlooking something?
>

> ________________________________

Cheers
--
David Robley

The days of the digital watch are numbered

RE: Apache OpenOffice available in the Microsoft Store on Windows 10

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Thu, 18 Nov 2021 16:27:56 -0800
farhad khosravi <ed...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I just downloaded the Apache and was trying to install it on my MacBook with OS 11.6 but I got a message that [“Open Office” can not be opened because the developer can not be verified]
> What can I do to get it installed.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Farhad
>
> Sent from my iPhone

You need to read Q05/A05 in https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=89283

Apple Gatekeeper is preventing your install. The above Q/A should solve your problem.

RoryOF

> > On Nov 18, 2021, at 3:53 PM, Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de> wrote:
> >
> > Am 18.11.21 um 21:51 schrieb Matthias Seidel:
> >> Apache OpenOffice has already been available in the new Microsoft Store on Windows 11 since October.
> >> With the latest App update, the new store is also coming to Windows 10.
> >> Users can now install the latest OpenOffice version with a single click!
> >> The Store Listings are localized in English, German, Italian, Polish and Portuguese.
> >> Feel free to contact me if you want to add more languages or if you have any questions.
> >
> > great news. :-)
> >
> > Then the new version was worth it to release at this point of time - to be ready for the Win 10 store.
> >
> > Marcus

Rory O'Farrell

Re: Apache OpenOffice available in the Microsoft Store on Windows 10

Posted by Farhad Edward Khosravi <ed...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hi David,I am following the directions given but unfortunatelythe information there does not address the error message I am getting.

    On Thursday, November 18, 2021, 05:13:41 PM PST, David Robley <da...@robley.net.au> wrote:

 Please see the Mac section of Instructions for Downloading and
Installing Apache OpenOffice 4.0, 4.1 Versions -
https://www.openoffice.org/download/common/instructions.html#apple

As a courtesy I have forwarded a copy of this reply to you as well as to
the mailing list. Do Not reply to me personally but just to the list at
<us...@openoffice.apache.org> - replies to my personal email address
will be ignored.

On 19/11/21 10:57 am, farhad khosravi wrote:
> Hi,
> I just downloaded the Apache and was trying to install it on my MacBook with OS 11.6 but I got a message that [“Open Office” can not be opened because the developer can not be verified]
> What can I do to get it installed.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Farhad
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Nov 18, 2021, at 3:53 PM, Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de> wrote:

>>> Apache OpenOffice has already been available in the new Microsoft Store on Windows 11 since October.
>>> With the latest App update, the new store is also coming to Windows 10.
>>> Users can now install the latest OpenOffice version with a single click!
>>> The Store Listings are localized in English, German, Italian, Polish and Portuguese.
>>> Feel free to contact me if you want to add more languages or if you have any questions.
>> great news. :-)
>>
>> Then the new version was worth it to release at this point of time - to be ready for the Win 10 store.
>>
>> Marcus

Cheers
--
David Robley

"Someone removed all the twos from this deck," Tom deduced.

Re: Apache OpenOffice available in the Microsoft Store on Windows 10

Posted by David Robley <da...@robley.net.au>.
Please see the Mac section of Instructions for Downloading and
Installing Apache OpenOffice 4.0, 4.1 Versions -
https://www.openoffice.org/download/common/instructions.html#apple

As a courtesy I have forwarded a copy of this reply to you as well as to
the mailing list. Do Not reply to me personally but just to the list at
<us...@openoffice.apache.org> - replies to my personal email address
will be ignored.

On 19/11/21 10:57 am, farhad khosravi wrote:
> Hi,
> I just downloaded the Apache and was trying to install it on my MacBook with OS 11.6 but I got a message that [“Open Office” can not be opened because the developer can not be verified]
> What can I do to get it installed.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Farhad
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Nov 18, 2021, at 3:53 PM, Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de> wrote:

>>> Apache OpenOffice has already been available in the new Microsoft Store on Windows 11 since October.
>>> With the latest App update, the new store is also coming to Windows 10.
>>> Users can now install the latest OpenOffice version with a single click!
>>> The Store Listings are localized in English, German, Italian, Polish and Portuguese.
>>> Feel free to contact me if you want to add more languages or if you have any questions.
>> great news. :-)
>>
>> Then the new version was worth it to release at this point of time - to be ready for the Win 10 store.
>>
>> Marcus

Cheers

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Thu, 18 Nov 2021 16:27:56 -0800
farhad khosravi <ed...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I just downloaded the Apache and was trying to install it on my MacBook with OS 11.6 but I got a message that [“Open Office” can not be opened because the developer can not be verified]
> What can I do to get it installed.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Farhad
>
> Sent from my iPhone

You need to read Q05/A05 in https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=89283

Apple Gatekeeper is preventing your install. The above Q/A should solve your problem.

RoryOF

> > On Nov 18, 2021, at 3:53 PM, Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de> wrote:
> >
> > Am 18.11.21 um 21:51 schrieb Matthias Seidel:
> >> Apache OpenOffice has already been available in the new Microsoft Store on Windows 11 since October.
> >> With the latest App update, the new store is also coming to Windows 10.
> >> Users can now install the latest OpenOffice version with a single click!
> >> The Store Listings are localized in English, German, Italian, Polish and Portuguese.
> >> Feel free to contact me if you want to add more languages or if you have any questions.
> >
> > great news. :-)
> >
> > Then the new version was worth it to release at this point of time - to be ready for the Win 10 store.
> >
> > Marcus

Rory O'Farrell

Re: Apache OpenOffice available in the Microsoft Store on Windows 10

Posted by farhad khosravi <ed...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hi,

Posted by farhad khosravi <ed...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hi,

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi all,

I tested on a computer from a friend.

Microsoft Store is not updated, because he uses Windows 10 1909.
So it comes down to updating the OS to a recent version first... ;-)

Regards,

   Matthias

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Pedro,

Am 23.11.21 um 10:39 schrieb Pedro Lino:
> Hi all
>
>> On 11/23/2021 7:26 AM Bidouille <oo...@free.fr> wrote:
>>

>> Actually, I can not found this official version.
>> If I try a search with OpenOffice, I get two others costing €9.99:
>> * OpenOffice Windows Store Version
>> * OpenOffice Suite ‪RepackagerExpress.com
> I get the same. In fact searching for Apache OpenOffice shows the same results
> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/search/explore?q=apache+openoffice
Please use the Microsoft Store on Windows 10/11.

> Can anyone provide a link to the Free version?

ms-windows-store://pdp/?productid=XP89J5462CMGJD

But you have to put that link manually in a browser, I think.

> Maybe it only shows up within the Windows 10 or 11 app?

Exactly, that's what I am talking about. ;-)

Regards,

   Matthias

Posted by Pedro Lino <pe...@mailbox.org.INVALID>.
Hi all

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Marcus,

Am 22.11.21 um 23:28 schrieb Marcus:

>>> great news. :-)
>>>
>>> Then the new version was worth it to release at this point of time -
>>> to be ready for the Win 10 store.
>>
>> Yes, I have now tested the store on every Windows PC I got my hands on.
>> Absolutely no problems so far...
>>
>> The next task will be to get rid of all these unofficial OpenOffice
>> offers. ;-)
>>
>> Do we want to make an announcement?
>
> I would say let's involve someone who has hopefully more knowledge
> about such kind of things. Michael, do you have time to speak about it?

Just to be clear: The announcement I thought of would be about the
availability of AOO in the Windows 10 store... ;-)

"Legal" things should come after that, Microsoft is also interested in
cleaning up the store.

I was already in contact with one of the companies, but the last months
were stressful with bringing AOO to the MS Store and all the "normal"
work for the AOO 4.1.11 release.

Regards,

   Matthias

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Again, this is about the Windows Store App on Windows 10/11.

You will not find it on the internet, no need to try it... ;-)

Posted by Benjamen Meyer <bm...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/search/shop/Apps?q=Apache%20OpenOffice

for me, shows 3 versions:
OpenOffice Suite by Repackager Express)
	January 2019
	$69.99 USD marked down to $9.99 USD
	Implies correct copyright (Open Office Collaborators), but lists the
GPL license under additional terms

OpenOffice Windows Store Version (winuwp)
	July 2020
	$9.99 USD
	Copyright lists the ASF and mentions the Apache License v2.0

Open Office Store Edition (muzzumoh)
	June 2020
	$4.99 USD
	Per the page does not seem to properly list the license or copyright

No clue which is the right one to recommend (I don't use Windows Store
at all; not even Windows). Based on copyright/licensing hte winuwp
version seems to be proper, it's also the most recent.

All three have screen shots of OO4.

$0.01 FWIW

Ben

On 11/24/21 12:05 PM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> In Spanish language Windows 10, searching for "Open Office" on the
> Microsoft Store shows a version dated 2019 from "PackagerExpress.com"
> selling for $149 (I suppose ARS not USD).
>
> Screenshot
> https://app.box.com/s/rhnm38j71hohtwml3353eb2lkmzfeqku
>
> FC
>
> On 24/11/2021, Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de> wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> My firm has disabled this function. So I can't check it.
>> That is understandable for a company... ;-)
>>> But I'm interested by screenshot. :-)
>>
>> I can only give a German screenshot, as the Store defaults to the
>> language of the OS:
>>
>> https://home.apache.org/~mseidel/AOO-MS-Store-Win10.png
>>
>> And as I understand it, the "classical" Windows apps in the Microsoft
>> Store will not show up on the Internet...
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>>    Matthias

Ben Meyer
Software Engineer
(703)901-2797
bm_witness@yahoo.com

Re: Apache OpenOffice available in the Microsoft Store on Windows 10

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi,

Am 24.11.21 um 18:05 schrieb Fernando Cassia:
> In Spanish language Windows 10, searching for "Open Office" on the
> Microsoft Store shows a version dated 2019 from "PackagerExpress.com"
> selling for $149 (I suppose ARS not USD).
>
> Screenshot
> https://app.box.com/s/rhnm38j71hohtwml3353eb2lkmzfeqku

That's one of the unofficial offers. But if you search for OpenOffice it
will give you the right one (with English text, I suppose).

BTW: We still need someone to translate the Store Listing to Spanish!?
Volunteers? Anyone? ;-)

Regards,

   Matthias

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
In Spanish language Windows 10, searching for "Open Office" on the
Microsoft Store shows a version dated 2019 from "PackagerExpress.com"
selling for $149 (I suppose ARS not USD).

Screenshot
https://app.box.com/s/rhnm38j71hohtwml3353eb2lkmzfeqku

FC

On 24/11/2021, Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 24.11.21 um 16:36 schrieb Bidouille:
>>> As I already wrote you via mail, please use the Store on your
>>> Windows.
>> My firm has disabled this function. So I can't check it.
> That is understandable for a company... ;-)
>> But I'm interested by screenshot. :-)
>
> I can only give a German screenshot, as the Store defaults to the
> language of the OS:
>
> https://home.apache.org/~mseidel/AOO-MS-Store-Win10.png
>
> And as I understand it, the "classical" Windows apps in the Microsoft
> Store will not show up on the Internet...
>
> Regards,
>
>    Matthias

----
act
Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un Acto
Revolucionario
- George Orwell

Re: Apache OpenOffice available in the Microsoft Store on Windows 10

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Pedro,

Am 25.11.21 um 12:23 schrieb Pedro Lino:
> Hi Matthias
>
>> On 11/24/2021 11:50 PM Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de> wrote:
>> Are they illegal? I am not a lawyer... They need to adjust some (a lot of) things, but that has to be worked on.
> They are illegally using the OpenOffice name so they have to be removed. Of course they can rebrand it and that would be legal but it would no longer show on a search for OpenOffice!

Did you download (pay) and install them? ;-)

If the installed binaries are unchanged that may still be a trademark
problem.
Of course, we do need to get in contact with them (MS also wants that
cleaned) and work that out.

BTW: You can report an app to MS via the Store if you think something is
not OK.

>>> On a positive note, "our" Apache OpenOffice does show up on the Portuguese Microsoft Store app (using Windows 10 Pro 21H2) as the first option!
>>> https://i.imgur.com/rdqewTK.png
>> That looks great! Did you try to install?
> I did install it and it worked perfectly! In addition on another Windows 10 Pro machine that already had AOO 4.1.10 installed in the traditional way when I installed AOO 4.1.11 through the Store, it correctly updated AOO.
>
> This is excellent!

Yes, that is how it should work! ;-)

Thanks for the feedback.

My impression is that the MS Store is still under heavy development. And
there is always place for improvements.

Regards,

   Matthias

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Pedro,

Am 26.11.21 um 20:10 schrieb Pedro Lino:
> Hi Matthias
>
>> On 11/26/2021 6:39 PM Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de> wrote:
>> Another note:
>>
>> With the new store you need a Microsoft account even if you want to
>> install a free app...
>>
>> BUT: This is not the case for classical programs like Apache OpenOffice! ;-)
> That is actually good news for OpenOffice users! Will they be notified of new versions through the MS Store? (it is not really relevant if the AOO update check works)
Unfortunately not. But maybe we should have a look if we can modify our
update notification somehow.

> I really think that it should not be necessary to be a registered user to install programs. But Microsoft is clearly following the Google's Android model where everything is connected to the user account (which is positive in some points, but it is not so good for privacy...)

Yes, Windows 11 goes in that direction and the new store was backported
to Window 10.

BTW: Wait for the UI redesign of MS Office (2016 and 2019)! That will
look a lot like Windows 11...

Regards,

   Matthias

Posted by Pedro Lino <pe...@mailbox.org.INVALID>.
Hi Matthias

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Pedro, all,

Posted by Pedro Lino <pe...@mailbox.org.INVALID>.
Hi Matthias

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Pedro,

Am 25.11.21 um 00:36 schrieb Pedro Lino:
> Hi Matthias
>
>> On 11/24/2021 4:43 PM Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de> wrote:
>> And as I understand it, the "classical" Windows apps in the Microsoft
>> Store will not show up on the Internet...
> Then why do the illegal copies of those same "classical" apps that some smart-ass companies are trying to sell do show up on the Internet store?

Are they illegal? I am not a lawyer... They need to adjust some (a lot
of) things, but that has to be worked on.

And these are NOT cĺassical apps, this is something repackaged for the
Microsoft Store. Classical Apps came with the "new" MS Store to Windows
11 and Windows 10.

BUT: We now have Apache OpenOffice available and people can choose to
pay for repackaged software or get the most recent original version just
for free.

> This is obviously not a criticism to you!
I only accept positive criticism! ;-)

Posted by Pedro Lino <pe...@mailbox.org.INVALID>.
Hi Matthias

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Bidouille <oo...@free.fr>.

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi,

Am 23.11.21 um 08:26 schrieb Bidouille:
> Actually, I can not found this official version.
> If I try a search with OpenOffice, I get two others costing €9.99:
> * OpenOffice Windows Store Version
> * OpenOffice Suite ‪RepackagerExpress.com

As I already wrote you via mail, please use the Store on your Windows.
But maybe it isn't updated yet? Mine was last Thursday.

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Marcus,

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Peter,

Am 26.11.21 um 17:27 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
> French was requested on Facebook. I will ask if he sees it.

Thanks!

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Pedro, all,

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Pedro,

Am 19.11.21 um 18:14 schrieb Pedro Lino:
>> On 11/19/2021 4:47 PM Bidouille <oo...@free.fr> wrote:
>> A french version will be great.
> Indeed!
> And a Spanish version also... It is the 4th spoken language worlwide and the 2nd by native speakers. Any Spanish volunteers?

Maybe we should additionally ask on l10n@ ?

Regards,

   Matthias

Posted by Pedro Lino <pe...@mailbox.org.INVALID>.

Posted by Bidouille <oo...@free.fr>.
> Can I send you the strings for translation?
Sure!
I do

Re: Apache OpenOffice available in the Microsoft Store on Windows 10

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi,

Am 19.11.21 um 17:47 schrieb Bidouille:
>> The Store Listings are localized in English, German, Italian, Polish
>> and Portuguese.
>> Feel free to contact me if you want to add more languages or if you
>> have any questions.
> A french version will be great.

Definitely!

Can I send you the strings for translation?

Note: The French AOO version should already be there, but the Store
Listing might be in English. Could you check that?

Posted by Bidouille <oo...@free.fr>.