Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Mac Ferguson <ma...@Softchoice.com> on 2003/06/06 20:24:36 UTC

Getting started

After having toyed with Tapestry about a year ago I saw an announcement
of the acceptance into Jakarta of the project and decided to go back and
take a good look at it again.

I downloaded 3.0 b1 and set out to do some hello world type examples.

The first problem I ran into was that the tutorial is completely out of
date and there is no apparent tutorial that applies to the changes in
v3.0 (or the previous version, for that matter).

I examined the workbench application and got the refreshable time of day
example working but when I sat down to start extending it again I got
the following exception:

org.apache.tapestry.ApplicationRuntimeException

Could not read template context:Home.html.

(see below for the stack trace)

The template has not been moved, the Tomcat context has not changed and
none of the specifications have been changed since yesterday. I'm
stumped. My directory structure currently looks like this:

/web/Home.html
/web/WEB-INF/Home.page

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Having been over the mailing lists a few times I see that Howard is busy
working and writing a book, which is laudable, but I have to say that
releasing a new version with apparently no up-to-date tutorial is not
going to help spread the use of Tapestry, in fact, it creates the
impression that the framework is complex and buggy. Generally if I can't
get something to work "out of the box" with an easy tutorial, I ditch
it. I strongly subscribe to the Selfish Class re-use pattern
(http://www.joeyoder.com/papers/patterns/Selfish/selfish.pdf)....

Thanks for any help
Mac Ferguson

org.apache.naming.resources.DirContextURLConnection.getInputStream(DirCo
ntextURLConnection.java:344)
java.net.URL.openStream(URL.java:960)
org.apache.tapestry.engine.DefaultTemplateSource.readTemplate(DefaultTem
plateSource.java:515)
org.apache.tapestry.engine.DefaultTemplateSource.parseTemplate(DefaultTe
mplateSource.java:440)
org.apache.tapestry.engine.DefaultTemplateSource.getOrParseTemplate(Defa
ultTemplateSource.java:419)
org.apache.tapestry.engine.DefaultTemplateSource.findPageTemplateInAppli
cationRoot(DefaultTemplateSource.java:331)
org.apache.tapestry.engine.DefaultTemplateSource.findTemplate(DefaultTem
plateSource.java:307)
org.apache.tapestry.engine.DefaultTemplateSource.getTemplate(DefaultTemp
lateSource.java:213)
org.apache.tapestry.BaseComponent.readTemplate(BaseComponent.java:136)
org.apache.tapestry.BaseComponent.finishLoad(BaseComponent.java:176)
org.apache.tapestry.pageload.PageLoader.constructComponent(PageLoader.ja
va:598)
org.apache.tapestry.pageload.PageLoader.loadPage(PageLoader.java:835)
org.apache.tapestry.pageload.PageSource.getPage(PageSource.java:194)
org.apache.tapestry.engine.RequestCycle.getPage(RequestCycle.java:236)
org.apache.tapestry.engine.HomeService.service(HomeService.java:100)
org.apache.tapestry.engine.AbstractEngine.service(AbstractEngine.java:87
9)
org.apache.tapestry.ApplicationServlet.doService(ApplicationServlet.java
:238)
org.apache.tapestry.ApplicationServlet.doGet(ApplicationServlet.java:199
)

Re: Getting started

Posted by Jamie Orchard-Hays <ja...@dang.com>.
also, look at the workbench and vlib apps.

I've got them running in jboss 3.0.6, and this is easy to get up and running using the ant commands.

Although I haven't had any time to actually start writing code, I've been looking at the source files to these apps now and again
and learning a lot.

Jamie

Posted by Neil Clayton <ne...@cloudnine.net.nz>.

> [...]

> lateSource.java:213)
> org.apache.tapestry.BaseComponent.readTemplate(BaseComponent.java:136)
> org.apache.tapestry.BaseComponent.finishLoad(BaseComponent.java:176)
> org.apache.tapestry.pageload.PageLoader.constructComponent(PageLoader.ja
> va:598)
> org.apache.tapestry.pageload.PageLoader.loadPage(PageLoader.java:835)
> org.apache.tapestry.pageload.PageSource.getPage(PageSource.java:194)
> org.apache.tapestry.engine.RequestCycle.getPage(RequestCycle.java:236)
> org.apache.tapestry.engine.HomeService.service(HomeService.java:100)
> org.apache.tapestry.engine.AbstractEngine.service(AbstractEngine.java:87
> 9)
> org.apache.tapestry.ApplicationServlet.doService(ApplicationServlet.java
>
> :238)
>
> org.apache.tapestry.ApplicationServlet.doGet(ApplicationServlet.java:199

- --