Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Mark Brown <ma...@rogers.com> on 2004/10/20 17:13:02 UTC

[Fwd: Setting 'auto-props' for the repository]

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Does anyone know what could be causing the auto-props not to work?<br>
Is there any other tests that should be done?<br>
Thanks<br>
Mark Brown<br>
Posted by John Szakmeister <jo...@szakmeister.net>.
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> On Oct 20, 2004, at 12:13 PM, Mark Brown wrote:
>

>> [auto-props]
>> enable-auto-props = yes
>> * = svn:eol-style=native;svn:keywords "LastChangedDate"

I believe the line should read as follows:
* = svn:eol-style=native;svn:keywords=LastChangedDate

otherwise, you're trying to add a property called 'svn:keywords
"LastChangedDate"', which I'm sure isn't what you want. :-)

-John

Re: [Fwd: Setting 'auto-props' for the repository]

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Oct 20, 2004, at 12:13 PM, Mark Brown wrote:

> [auto-props]
> enable-auto-props = yes
> * = svn:eol-style=native;svn:keywords "LastChangedDate"

The 'enable-auto-props' variable is being ignored, because you put it
in the wrong section.  It should be in the [miscellany] section, as the
template 'config' file shows.

Re: [Fwd: Setting 'auto-props' for the repository]

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Oct 21, 2004, at 7:28 PM, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> On Oct 21, 2004, at 6:49 PM, Duncan Palmer wrote:
>>
>> I think a server-side config is needed.
>
> Yes, yes, you're the 10,001st user to ask for this.  There's already a
> feature request filed for it.  This is one of the most common
> questions in IRC too.  I think you've inspired me to write a new FAQ.
> :-)

Okay, FAQ done, thanks for the motivation:

http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/www/project_faq.html#auto-props

Re: [Fwd: Setting 'auto-props' for the repository]

Posted by Duncan Palmer <du...@yahoo.com>.
--- Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> wrote:
> > I think a server-side config is needed.
>
> Yes, yes, you're the 10,001st user to ask for this.
> There's already a
> feature request filed for it.  This is one of the
> most common questions
> in IRC too.  I think you've inspired me to write a
> new FAQ.  :-)

oops - didn't mean to hassle you... Its nothing a
little cron job can't manage anyway, or maybe a hook
on add/commit...

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Duncan Palmer <du...@yahoo.com>.
I'll put my hand up as one of the confused...

I think a server-side config is needed. E.g. to
prevent the following scenario:

o Clients access the server using svn+ssh
o User A doesn't specify keyword expansion in his
config
o User B does specify keyword expansion in his config
o When User A adds a file (file A) to the repository,
keyword expansion is turned off for that file
o When user B checks out file A, keyword expansion is
turned off for file A.

Hence, someone is forced to run a script to turn on
keyword expansion for things in the repository if one
of the project members has added something while their
config is incorrect. This in turn implies that all
project members must make sure their config files are
kept in sync - very painful... A system wide client
config is only good if all the clients run on the same
machine, which we don't...

Dunk

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Mark Brown <ma...@rogers.com>.
John Szakmeister wrote:

>On Wednesday 20 October 2004 13:13, Mark Brown wrote:
>[snip]
>

>>I created the /etc/subversion/config file on the linux server with the
>>following lines:
>>

>One more problem... /etc/subversion/config is for *clients*, not the
>server.  Currently, there is no server-side configuration for auto-props.
>
>-John

John,
This section of the 1.0 manual
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/svnbook-1.0/ch07.html#svn-ch-7-sect-1.1
implies that there's server-side configuration.  Maybe I misunderstood
but it is working.
Mark

Re: [Fwd: Setting 'auto-props' for the repository]

Posted by John Szakmeister <jo...@szakmeister.net>.