Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by David Brown <da...@gtri.gatech.edu> on 2001/05/01 16:53:24 UTC

Large Attachments

I'm new to the list, so forgive a naive question.

Is anyone interested in updating JAMES to handle very large attachments?

On my system (Windows NT 4.0, 256M RAM, 667 MHzPIII), JAMES has trouble with
large attachments.  I updated the JVM heap size from the default 64M to 300M
(large swap files) and was able to send attachments up to 30Meg (up from
5Meg).  I have a need to send attachments up to 50Meg.  (I know, kill NT and
use Linux.  And I also realize that emailing 50Meg attachments is not as
good as FTPing... But those are my constraints.)

Is anyone else interested in adding this to the ToDo list?  Or (maybe a
better question) is anyone interested in telling me why this is a dumb idea?

--David