Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Tom Brown <to...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/18 22:33:19 UTC

Differences between YARN and Hadoop

To all,

I have a few questions regarding YARN (with respect to Hadoop):

Are YARN and Hadoop separate, or is YARN the successor to Hadoop?

What are the major conceptual differences between YARN and Hadoop?

I have further questions, but they may or may not make sense depending
on the answers to the above.

Thanks in advance!

Tom Brown

Re: Differences between YARN and Hadoop

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
First, see what a TLP means, here:
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#introduction.

Apache Hadoop is a collection of 4 major sub-projects (Common, HDFS,
YARN, and MR) presently. The top level directory structure can be
found at the SVN location:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/trunk/

MRv2 is a sub-project of Apache Hadoop, not a TLP. MRv2 resides under
Hadoop, at http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/trunk/hadoop-mapreduce-project/.

YARN is also still a sub-project of Apache Hadoop, not a TLP yet. YARN
resides under Hadoop, at
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/trunk/hadoop-yarn-project/

HDFS is also a sub-project of Apache Hadoop, not a TLP. HDFS resides
under Hadoop, at
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/trunk/hadoop-hdfs-project/

Hope this clears your confusion :)

--
Harsh J

Re: Differences between YARN and Hadoop

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Differences between YARN and Hadoop

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Differences between YARN and Hadoop

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Differences between YARN and Hadoop

Posted by Tom Brown <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tom Brown <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tom Brown <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tom Brown <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ruslan Al-Fakikh <me...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Ruslan Al-Fakikh <me...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Tom,

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 2:03 AM, Tom Brown <to...@gmail.com> wrote:
> To all,
>
> I have a few questions regarding YARN (with respect to Hadoop):
>
> Are YARN and Hadoop separate, or is YARN the successor to Hadoop?

YARN replaces what used to be plain MapReduce, in order to provide an
API for, and to support development of applications that wish to use a
different distributed processing method than just MR, on top of HDFS.

YARN (called Apache Hadoop YARN presently) is part of Apache Hadoop.
YARN is not "Hadoop".

> What are the major conceptual differences between YARN and Hadoop?

The two can't be compared this way, see above and my previous post to Andy.

--
Harsh J

Re: Differences between YARN and Hadoop

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Tom,

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Tom,

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Andy,

Am moving your question to the cdh-user lists (cdh-user@cloudera.org,
or https://groups.google.com/a/cloudera.org/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/cdh-user)
since it is CDH specific.

To answer your question, YARN is functional for MR2 and other
applications you wish to run on it, however it still has some
unpolished edges necessary to run it reliably well on production (such
as MR1 is). It should be ready for prime time very soon.

Since CDH4's MR API is fully compatible between the two, jobs you
compile on the CDH4 MR1 platform today will run on YARN+MR2 clusters
without needing a recompile later.

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Andy,

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Andy,

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Andy,

Posted by gschen <go...@yahoo.com.cn>.
于 2012/10/19 13:33, Harsh J 写道:
> Andy,
>
> "YARN" is NOT "MRv2". That seems to be a major confusion with people
> thanks to everyone mixing up the terms. See this small post for a
> clear difference:
> http://www.cloudera.com/blog/2012/10/mr2-and-yarn-briefly-explained/
>
> On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 3:30 AM, Kartashov, Andy <An...@mpac.ca> wrote:
>> They are not comparable.
>>
>> YARN also known as MRv2 is the newer version of MapReduce also known as MRv1.

unsubscribe

Re: Differences between YARN and Hadoop

Posted by gschen <go...@yahoo.com.cn>.
于 2012/10/19 13:33, Harsh J 写道: