Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Givler, Eric" <eg...@state.pa.us> on 2009/06/02 16:47:16 UTC

RE: S2: on Servlet 2.3

Can you respond with a specific version that you used?  2.0.?
Thanks!

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
Martin Gainty wrote:
> i said the Servlet specification DTD is specified on web.xml
>
> i do NOT suggest you change the DTD in web.xml to a different spec (as previous poster stated)

No, I stated that what you posted was irrelevant to the OP's question,
and had no bearing on whether or not S2.1 would run on their server.
Which as the OP stated they are stuck with.

Dave

RE: S2: on Servlet 2.3

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
i said the Servlet specification DTD is specified on web.xml

i do NOT suggest you change the DTD in web.xml to a different spec (as previous poster stated)

http://cwiki.apache.org/WW/using-struts-and-xwork-with-jsp-20-and-jstl-11.html
we see jstl 11 and jsp20 is implemented for Struts 2.x so the answer is with target deployment env

first a few questions on target env container?
which version Weblogic?
whcih version GF?
which version OAS?

also your dev environment is out of date i would suggest d/l and installing Oracle Jdev 11 Update 2
http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/jdev/htdocs/soft11.html

please note the following issues JDeveloper 11 has with legacy Struts code
Struts issues
Struts and Model1 databinding will no longer support JSP 1.2. Clients wishing
  to stay with JSP 1.2 should instead use JDeveloper 10.1.3. JSP2+ is fully supported
  in this release.
//
Next to exercise JSP 2.x tags i would write and deploy the JSP 2.x simpletaghandler available at
http://www.oracle.com/technology/sample_code/tech/java/codesnippet/jsps/simpletag/How-to-SimpleTagHandler.html

Your JSP 2.0 specific DynamicAttributes will now be supported in JDeveloper Environment (java doc available at)
http://java.sun.com/javaee/5/docs/api/javax/servlet/jsp/tagext/DynamicAttributes.html

any (embedded) container such as OC4J would also need to support JSP 2.x spec

I have entire Oracle Developer/Container and Database suite installed here
as this is not related to Struts but related to Oracle tools feel free to email me offline

I hope that answers your question!
Martin Gainty

Re: S2: on Servlet 2.3

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 8:55 AM, Givler, Eric <eg...@state.pa.us> wrote:
> I think the problem with the 2.1.6 release I have is that even if rewrite the TLD file as a 1.2 version, any of the UI Tags that are based on org.apache.struts2.views.jsp.ui.AbstractUITag which implements javax.servlet.jsp.tagext.DynamicAttributes will cause an issue.
>
> In an older IDE (JDEV 10.1.2), it displays an error: "Error: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/servlet/jsp/tagext/DynamicAttributes".
>
> Is the 2.0.x branch dead, or are fixes still ported to that version?

I don't know if I would call it dead, but I don't think anyone is
going to want to backport fixes unless they are security issues.

> If I want to continue to use Struts, should I just stick with the 1.3.x line until I get a newer Application Server environment?

I hate to say it, but you might have to. Struts 1.3.x is still alive
and kicking. I, personally, don't have a lot of interest in trying to
make things work against an older set of Specs. The DynamicAttributes
interface you pointed to is used quite heavily and is an example of
one of the items in the newer spec that doesn't have an analog in
older specs... It allows you to specify extra items (other than what
is mapped in the TLD), so you could do something like -

<s:textfield name="name" value="%{name}" dojoType="blah" ...

Losing that functionality would cause some contention because there
are people who requested it and would feel jilted if we dropped it.

Having done it, I would push a bit harder to get a newer app server.
The sort of problems you *might* encounter migrating an app to a newer
spec are quite easy to deal with. I can't remember which app server
you said you were running on earlier, but if price is an issue than
that is something your company has to consider.

--
Wes Wannemacher
Author - Struts 2 In Practice

RE: S2: on Servlet 2.3