Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Ricardo Trindade <ri...@emation.pt> on 2007/02/05 12:03:20 UTC

web dashboard for log4j

Hi,

    Is there something in java for log4j similar to this web interface
that exists for l4n ?

    http://www.l4ndash.com/

thanks,
Ricardo

Re: web dashboard for log4j

Posted by Nathan Coast <na...@codeczar.com>.
for runtime configuration, there is this:

http://www.codeczar.com/products/logweb/

I'd wait for a couple of weeks, there is a greatly improved version
arriving soon.

cheers
Nathan

Re: web dashboard for log4j

Posted by Nathan Coast <na...@codeczar.com>.
Hi all,

the current logweb is quite old, a new updated version with many
usability enhancements is just around the corner.

new features:
searching and sorting of loggers (loggers can run into the thousands)
exporting config to log4j.xml
persisting and loading xml to db for clustered configuration

hopefully the next version will be available in 2-3 weeks.

cheers
Nathan

Re: web dashboard for log4j

Posted by "Traeder, Philipp" <tr...@immobilienscout24.de>.

Re: web dashboard for log4j

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
At 08:03 AM 2/10/2007, you wrote:
 >>     Is there something in java for log4j similar to this web interface
 >> that exists for l4n ?
 >>
 >>     http://www.l4ndash.com/
 >
 >Hi Ricardo,
 >
 >I'm working on a similar project right now.

Not to discourage your work, but are you sure you aren't reinventing the wheel?

http://www.codeczar.com/products/logweb/

There's certainly a few things that could be improved in LogWeb, such
as support for multiple logger repositories instead of just
displaying info about the default logger repository.  But the core is
there and works well.  I wonder if you could build on it instead of
creating something from scratch?  Then again, maybe you have
something much better and need to do it from scratch, in which case I
eagerly await the fruits of your labor :-)

Jake

 >The idea is like this: There's a separate application (working title
 >"Logpool") that's listening on some TCP ports.
 >You add a SocketAppender to your application's log4j configuration
 >(preferably using an AsyncAppender
 >so that your application does not block when there's a problem in the
 >receiving end), thus relaying all interesting
 >messages to the Logpool. There the messages are categorized so that
 >you can group messages by their "type" and
 >written into a (MySQL) database. The Logpool includes a Web Interface
 >(which is the part I'm writing right now) where
 >you can view your messages in row format or as a summary (e.g. grouped
 >by host, message type etc.).
 >
 >I'm using this setup since ~ one year in the company I'm working for,
 >processing all messages >= WARN for
 >approx. 60 servers, and it's a big help to see what's going wrong in
 >your application. So far, the summary is sent every
 >morning by mail and looks something like this:
 >
 >Logpool Message Type Statistics:
 >================================
 >Source : ServicePool
 >From   : 21.01.2007 08:00:07
 >To     : 22.01.2007 08:00:07
 >
 >(3255) de.is24.mtier.apiImpl.operation.RequestServiceOP (ERROR)
 >RequestServiceImpl.calcStatisticB: Transaction 1002, Open, Invalid,
 >Thread[RequestProcessor-15,10,main], No Connection,
 >82E529FB2B55A0E55A67AEA892BBE005.worker1, 168259187
 >Attribute (String)city in Memento :Information:RealEstate: has
invalid content
 >        at
de.is24.mtier.index.IndexQuery.transformGeoInfo(IndexQuery.java:800)

Re: web dashboard for log4j

Posted by "Traeder, Philipp" <tr...@immobilienscout24.de>.
Am Samstag, 10. Februar 2007 16:04 schrieb Maarten Bosteels:
> could you announce it on this list when it is released ?
> thanks
> Maarten

Of course, I shall let you know - I'm not sure yet about the exact date,
but I'll release a version as soon as it is complete enough to be installed
by somebody who does not want to take a look into the source.

Philipp

Re: web dashboard for log4j

Posted by Maarten Bosteels <mb...@gmail.com>.

Re: web dashboard for log4j