Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Timothy Potter <th...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/25 18:17:03 UTC

Creating 5.1 branch soon ...

Hi,

I'd like to create the 5.1 branch soon'ish, thinking maybe late tomorrow or
early Friday.

If I understand correctly, that implies that new features should not be
added after that point without some agreement among the committers about
whether it should be included?

Let me know if this is too soon and when a more ideal date/time would be.

Sincerely,

Your friendly 5.1 release manager (aka thelabdude)

Re: Creating 5.1 branch soon ...

Posted by Timothy Potter <th...@gmail.com>.
No problem, thanks for letting us know the timing ;-)

Re: Creating 5.1 branch soon ...

Posted by Timothy Potter <th...@gmail.com>.
I'd like to move ahead an create the 5.1 branch later today so that we can
start locking down what's included in the release. I know this adds an
extra merge step for you Adrien for LUCENE-6303, but I hope that's not too
much trouble for you?

Cheers,
Tim

Re: Creating 5.1 branch soon ...

Posted by Adrien Grand <jp...@gmail.com>.
Hi Timothy,

Re: Creating 5.1 branch soon ...

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 3/25/2015 11:30 AM, Steve Molloy wrote:
> I think something should be done about SOLR-7296 before releasing.
> IMHO, having 2 implementations and completely unrelated APIs for
> facetting is asking for problems down the road. So before exposing
> this publicly, we should either align implementation or at least the
> dev group needs to consciously make the decision to move ahead with
> this, understanding the drawbacks.

Replying without understanding any of the facet code or how each
implementation differs from the others:

Because this has a heavy impact on low-level API code, I doubt that we
can get this into 5.1.  It might even be disruptive enough that we'll
fork trunk into an issue-specific branch, do the heavy lifting, commit
to trunk, and then backport after a suitable baking period.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Creating 5.1 branch soon ...

Posted by Timothy Potter <th...@gmail.com>.
Sorry - I didn't intend any offense with the precedent statement, only the
fact that SOLR-6348 has released features already, namely SOLR-6351 and
SOLR-6354 are in 5.0 already.

Re: Creating 5.1 branch soon ...

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.

Re: Creating 5.1 branch soon ...

Posted by Timothy Potter <th...@gmail.com>.
That could be months of haggling and I don't think we should hold up all
the other nice features, improvements, and bug fixes for too much longer as
we don't want to slow down adoption of 5.x

Without any judgement of what was done in SOLR-7214 and given that
SOLR-6348 has precedent, why not mark the new JSON API as experimental,