Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> on 2004/06/28 12:04:47 UTC

[VOTE] Proxy configuration in 1.2.1

Andreas Hartmann wrote:

[...]

 > Would it make sense to use a generic proxy configuration?
 >
 > Examples:
 >
 >     <proxy area="authoring" ssl="false"
 >         url="http://cms.yourhost.com"/>
 >
 >     <proxy area="live" ssl="true"
 >         url="https://www.yourhost.com/ssl"/>
 >
 > Would this be sufficient?

This has been implemented and requires some more testing.
Should I commit it to the 1.2.1 branch (CVS head)?

-- Andreas

Re: [VOTE] Proxy configuration in 1.2.1

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>
>>> hehe, +1
>>>
>>> i wonder if theres a better name. something that contains what it does:
>>>
>>> * policy lookup
>>> * link checking
>>

>> I'd really like to remove these functions to separate components
>> for SoC reasons. A "DoEverythingWithLinksTransformer" rings a bell
>> re. the Blob antipattern ...
>> But I have to think about it first.
>

> that is a good point. so you'd have several link transformers chained like:
>
> <map:transform type="policy" />
> <map:transform type="linkcheck" />

I'd rather leave the XML transformation concern up to one single
transformer, which calls other components responsible for the
actual URL rewriting. But I'm not yet sure about the design.

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2004-06-28 at 13:52, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>
> >> hehe, +1
> >>
> >> i wonder if theres a better name. something that contains what it does:
> >>
> >> * policy lookup
> >> * link checking
> >

> > I'd really like to remove these functions to separate components
> > for SoC reasons. A "DoEverythingWithLinksTransformer" rings a bell
> > re. the Blob antipattern ...
> > But I have to think about it first.
>
> that is a good point. so you'd have several link transformers chained like:
>
> <map:transform type="policy" />
> <map:transform type="linkcheck" />
>
> ?
>
> if we improve the performance of these transformers, that should not be
> a problem.

I do not see the point. Code doing all we need needs to be executed
anyway. An alternative could be

<map:transform type="lenya" />

which is a facade to the other transformers. I mean the lenya
transformer delegates to all others. Of course the other transformers
can still be used separate.

--
Rolf Kulemann

Re: [VOTE] Proxy configuration in 1.2.1

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

http://wyona.com                   http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya

Re: [VOTE] Proxy configuration in 1.2.1

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Rolf Kulemann wrote:

> I wonder if it would be possible to make the
> (Simple)LinRewritingTransformer behave like forrest
> LinkRewritingTransformer. So we could use {ext:bla} etc.
>
> I think of a delegating special things to the forrest transformer.

currently, the links are in the form /prefix/publication/area/node

this makes sure they are unique and does away with the need for lookups.
on the other hand, it leads to problems when you move pages etc.

i think we overestimated the performance hit from these lookups. maybe
something to reconsider.

-gregor

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2004-06-28 at 13:43, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>
> > BTW, I think it makes sense to remove the "Simple" from the
> > LinkRewritingTransformer now ;)

I wonder if it would be possible to make the
(Simple)LinRewritingTransformer behave like forrest
LinkRewritingTransformer. So we could use {ext:bla} etc.

I think of a delegating special things to the forrest transformer.

WDYT?

--
Rolf Kulemann

Re: [VOTE] Proxy configuration in 1.2.1

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Rolf Kulemann wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-06-28 at 12:04, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>
>>Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>>
>>[...]
>>
>> > Would it make sense to use a generic proxy configuration?
>> >
>> > Examples:
>> >
>> >     <proxy area="authoring" ssl="false"
>> >         url="http://cms.yourhost.com"/>
>> >
>> >     <proxy area="live" ssl="true"
>> >         url="https://www.yourhost.com/ssl"/>
>> >
>> > Would this be sufficient?
>>
>>This has been implemented and requires some more testing.
>>Should I commit it to the 1.2.1 branch (CVS head)?
>

> What is the motivation to have this config? (silly question)

ATM it is not possible to configure separate proxies
for different areas and SSL / non-SSL pages.

See also:
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=lenya-dev@cocoon.apache.org&msgId=1726360

> Are more code changes needed?

- o.a.l.cms.publication.Publication (read configuration)
- new class o.a.l.cms.publication.Proxy
- SimpleLinkRewritingTransformer (transform links)

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

>  > Would it make sense to use a generic proxy configuration?
>  >
>  > Examples:
>  >
>  >     <proxy area="authoring" ssl="false"
>  >         url="http://cms.yourhost.com"/>
>  >
>  >     <proxy area="live" ssl="true"
>  >         url="https://www.yourhost.com/ssl"/>
>  >
>  > Would this be sufficient?
>
> This has been implemented and requires some more testing.
> Should I commit it to the 1.2.1 branch (CVS head)?

+1

Posted by Jann Forrer <ja...@id.unizh.ch>.
On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>  > Would it make sense to use a generic proxy configuration?
>  >
>  > Examples:
>  >
>  >     <proxy area="authoring" ssl="false"
>  >         url="http://cms.yourhost.com"/>
>  >
>  >     <proxy area="live" ssl="true"
>  >         url="https://www.yourhost.com/ssl"/>
>  >
>  > Would this be sufficient?
>
> This has been implemented and requires some more testing.
> Should I commit it to the 1.2.1 branch (CVS head)?

+1

Jann

Jann Forrer
Informatikdienste
Universität Zürich
Winterthurerstr. 190
CH-8057 Zuerich

oooO   mail:  jann.forrer@id.unizh.ch
(  )   phone: +41 1 63 56772
 \ (   fax:   +41 1 63 54505
  \_)  http://www.id.unizh.ch

Re: [VOTE] Proxy configuration in 1.2.1

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Would it make sense to use a generic proxy configuration?
> >
> > Examples:
> >
> >     <proxy area="authoring" ssl="false"
> >         url="http://cms.yourhost.com"/>
> >
> >     <proxy area="live" ssl="true"
> >         url="https://www.yourhost.com/ssl"/>
> >
> > Would this be sufficient?
>
> This has been implemented and requires some more testing.
> Should I commit it to the 1.2.1 branch (CVS head)?

+1

--
Thorsten Scherler

Departamento de Desarrollo de Proyectos
Sociedad Andaluza para el Desarrollo de la Sociedad de la Información S.A.U.